City Walk - thoughts please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 2.24pm
Hi friends,

I am considering to buy a property within the City Walk development. I've seen the place during the day and after dark for about four times now.

There are many positive things about the development, but I think what I would greatly appreciate is some perspective/views on my main concerns:

- Approach road - Morocco Street is not that great

- Being on the ground floor with glass doors front and back (safety)

- Seems to have SOME poorly-dressed/unfriendly faces living in the development; some units seem to be house large, extended families

- Noise from parties and just some neighbours who play music/TV and open their windows

Once again, there are many positives but I would be very grateful to hear your thoughts on the above.

The other option is to get a MUCH smaller unit in the Shad Thames area.

Many thanks again
Wednesday 26 May 2010 2.45pm
It depends what you are looking for - Do you want to live in a mixed area with some 'poorly dressed' people and large families (which you appear to equate with criminality)or do you want a nice 'safe' area with wealthy business types, an ever-changing population and no real local community?

I live very close to the Elephant and I know which I would choose every time though I acknowledge it is not to everyone's taste - different people want different things. If you feel unsafe, it is no shame, just choose somewhere else.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 2.48pm
Geraldtan wrote:
Seems to have SOME poorly-dressed/unfriendly faces living in the development; some units seem to be house large, extended families

These are the sorts of people that live in this area and so, if you object, perhaps the area/development you're looking at isn't for you. Scruffy people live everywhere though (and usually have more money than the smartly dressed individuals) and so I think you may find it difficult to find somewhere where such people don't reside.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 3.03pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I am hoping not to go along with what I initially 'feel' or my first impressions but to be able to get some facts and perspectives from people who live in the area, so your comments are appreciated.

For example, views on the mix of residents, previous safety problems (thefts/break-ins?) (which of course occur in all areas), the situation after dark in Morocco Street, the tendency of people to play music with their balconies open, etc. and other factual information would be very helpful to me.

I am already well aware of the positive sides of living in the area.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 3.30pm
Do you want to live in a mixed area with some 'poorly dressed' people and large families (which you appear to equate with criminality)

Can't quite see the link you're making here beverly....maybe jumping to conclusions as it says nothing about criminality at all

maybe just asking about things like students who have their friends over for long indeterminate periods for example...and they are often very scruffy lol...and play music late and loud sometimes

who knows...but as geraldtan says he just wants to know what its really like which so far no-one has manged to describe
Wednesday 26 May 2010 4.08pm
Hey geraldtan,

I live in Citywalk and have done for the past year (renting) so I can answer a few of the questions you have posed.

Morocco street is fine after dark, I often have walked home alone and never felt worried; bearing in mind there are so many flats along that strip with lights on, it's not actually as isolated as you may think.

Noise from parties - generally there isn't a problem, as people who live here rarely tend to have parties raging in the middle of the working week! However my only one bug bear, is that due to the acoustics of city walk, as soon as people listen to loud music and have their windows open on a sunny day/evening, the sound really tends to carry. However this is no different to other developments.

I can't comment on living in a ground floor flat, as I'm on one of the much higher levels, however I've not heard of any break-ins into individual apartments.
We did have issues with a group of youths, who did not live in the building, loitering and causing damage in the stairwells at one point, however this has now been resolved and there is a security company that patrol as well as security cameras.

Poorly dressed/unfriendly faces - this could be a mixture of the hung-over bankers who couldn't be bothered to get dressed properly, making a quick trip to sainsburys for their cornflakes...
I wouldn't say there were really any unfriendly faces around, and as for extended families, i quite enjoy seeing a couple of little kids out playing when i get back from work.

Overall, if I were buying I'd opt for a larger unit in City Walk, Shad Thames is much more cramped, is always full of tourists, and doesn't have wonderful Bermondsey Street a stone's throw away!

Hope this helps! Any other questions just PM me.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 6.47pm
A friend of mine has lived here for a few years, and I was housed there temporarily while work was carried out to my own property.

I know of one motorcycle theft from the underground, and someone has had a bicycle stolen from their own balcony.

My experience was that summer parties can be loud, but only because the noise is trapped.

Beveryly. Are you saying properties occupied by wealthy business types don't have a sense of community? On what do you base this?
Wednesday 1 December 2010 12.56pm
See new thread 'House theft at City Walk'

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: