Mail in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 28 May 2010 10.17pm
i see the post office is keeping up its high standards in the SE1 area. Was expecting a letter with a cheque for a travel insurance claim to arrive this week, and it finally arrived today ONLY because the honest person whose address it was wrongly delivered to and opened it , sealed the letter back up added a note of apology for opening it came and posted it through my door. Turns out that it has been delivered to totally the wrong address despite being correctly addressed.

At least the person who initally recived it has restored a little bit of faith in me that there are honest people out there :)
Friday 28 May 2010 11.52pm
We also have the same problem on our street. I live at No 14 and have erected a large sign on the front of the building saying No 14 yet much of our mail still gets delivered to No 47 at the other end of the street.
Over the Christmas period I left my home to find someone looking very scruffy in grey Tshirt and dirty trackies pushing a post office trolley looking completely lost with a handfull of letters in his hand. I asked him if he was lost and he managed to tell me in broken english he was lookin for No 6. I pointed him to the sign on the gate nearby with the name of the company he was trying to find.
One resident from the block of flats at No 47 sometimes pops by with the mail delivered by mistake and said the mail is often dumped in their hallway by the postman who buzzes one of the flats to gain entry then throws the mail into the hall.
I am still waiting for mail that I know have been sent months ago and some of my neighbours have received mail from other addresses in the area, some of them containing confidential information about banking and other personal details. I have also received credit cards for other neighbours on the sreeet.
It appears that the post office don't bother to check whether their staff have a basic working knowledge of the english language.
If there was an alternative service I would definately use it. Post Office take note.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 1.21pm
Yup, I also have the same problem. Most of the time its just the wrong house number, but often it's a completely different street. Appalling..
Wednesday 2 June 2010 12.18pm
I recommend that people with complaints about the postal service contact Mark Higson, Managing Director, Royal Mail Letters, at mark.higson@royalmail.com. Generally, it's a more effective way of getting public dissatisfaction with the postal service before the management's eyes than going through the Post Office's Byzantine complaints procedures, which are heavily weighted toward discouraging complaints and avoiding responsibility. Of course Mark Higson will pass the complaint down to a lower level of management and any action taken is only likely to have short-term effect, but the other option is to do nothing or complain to the local sorting office (which will have the same effect as doing nothing).

When he was boss of Royal Mail I found Adam Crozier quite helpful (and willing to reply in person to my e-mails), but now he's moved on and his successor doesn't start until July, so it remains to be seen whether she will be equally worthwhile contacting.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 2.14pm
With all complaints about the postal service here in SE1, and there are loads, I'd recommend to always copy our MP Simon Hughes in.
He is already quite good in chasing Royal Mail regularly and as more real-life cases he has to proof his/our point of bad service as more powerful his voice becomes.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: