The politics of noise in Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 31 May 2010 8.56pm
I was passing through Bermondsey Square on Sunday evening and was astonished by the loud music booming from the rooftop bar of the new boutique hotel. I don't often pass this way, is this a common occurrence? I'm not against noise, for me it's an important part of choosing to live in a city but I'm curious as to the type of noise that was dominating this area. How is a lot of self-satisfied people attempting to dance in the open as if they were in Ibiza part of any attempt to 'regenerate' this area? For a 'public space' that is so heavily monitored, what restrictions are placed on loud music? If someone was having a party in the nearby estate would this level of noise be sanctioned? In some ways I was pleased that people who have paid a lot of money to live in the horrible ostentatious new blocks in the Square had to endure this during their bank holiday, but maybe that's part of the appeal?
Tuesday 1 June 2010 11.35am
Unfortunately, the people who've paid a lot of money to live in the horrible ostentatious new blocks in the Square probably have quite good double glazing, unlike myself and my neighbours in my block on Bermondsey Street. It was so loud that I went round to the hotel to complain, pointing out that I couldn't even hear the TV in my own living room and that the louder something is doesn't necessarily make it "funner". They seemed genuinely surprised and said that it was a "pre booked party", though why they thought that would make a difference is beyond me. This is about the third time this has happened in the last six weeks or so (though to be honest, this is the first time I've been able to go round to complain) and frankly I'm not particularly impressed by their neighbourly attitude!
Tuesday 1 June 2010 4.15pm
hilsinsouthwark, if you compain to the hotel and they don't do anything about it, I guess the next step is to contact Southwark council to ask their noise team to investigate.
Zoe
Tuesday 1 June 2010 5.27pm
I believe the test that the Noise Nuisance team makes is whether you can hear the music above your TV, so it sounds like they would have intervened in this case, so it's worth calling them.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 12.18pm
The Party at B2 Hotel was in conjunction with The Ministry of Sound and, to my knowledge, is the first party since the opening of the Square, in May last year. It ran from 6pm until 10pm - though I believe there was a sound check during the day.

'Local Residents' [ie. those in the B2 flats] were invited - but the sound did travel much further.

I was there - although it is not my kind of music at all - and we discussed the sound issue, insofar as I'm glad I don't live closer! Sound can really cause distress and over a period of time, at that level, I think I would have left the area....

What can be done? Well, perhaps to extend the invitations further or publicise such events more widely to prepare people.

It is not a regular occurance - but they are planning another one on August Bank Holiday weekend.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 5.09pm
"What can be done?"

How about not letting them have parties that are so loud that they disturb people in the next street?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 6.45pm
And how about not using marketing terms like B2 (=Bermondsey Squared??)
Wednesday 2 June 2010 11.33pm
Oh, for days! Isn't life short enough?!
Thursday 3 June 2010 1.16pm
Philpotts24 wrote:
Oh, for days! Isn't life short enough?!

Not too short for some to be constant apologists for whatever the masters of the B2 universe dream up next, apparently

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 4 June 2010 2.35pm
The noise team is one approach, but you could try to lodge a complaint against the hotel liquor license if you know alcohol was being served under their license.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: