Bermondsey Square Wine Shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 1.29pm
'Six Wines Eight' - the wine shop that was on TBR - has opened up in Shortwave on the square. I went in on Saturday and spoke to the bloke who owns it. Really nice man, said he wanted a good value central location in SE1. Good luck to them.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 3.01pm
Seconded.

Nice chaps and a good addition to the square.

JGarcia - if you want to pop round for a look at my extension, I should be in most nights this week (sent you a DM with my mobile number or just pop over).
Friday 4 June 2010 9.46am
Thirded, great to see them open again, some fantastic wines and the owners are top blokes. The shop on TBR was a little gem and I was gutted when they had to close down. I popped in yesterday for a couple of bottles of wine and picked up a rather nice Shiraz Malbec for 8 which was incomparably better than an equivalently priced bottle of the plonk that Sainsburys sell next door.
Friday 4 June 2010 3.40pm
I'm confused. Renting a corner of an existing business to sell wines gives it a kind of market stall feel. Is shortwave a bar/cinema? A wineshop? A cover for market stalls? Is shortwave in trouble? Are 6/8 wines on shortwaves list? Can I buy a bottle and drink it in?

Maybe a nice wood-fired pizza shop in the opposite corner and we're onto something.
Friday 4 June 2010 4.12pm
i was thinking the same thing...from the outside it looks like a posh wine bar. are they only selling wine to go or can you buy a bottle to drink (share of course) before or after a film? confused
Friday 4 June 2010 5.00pm
You can buy and drink it at the bar but they have a corkage.
Friday 4 June 2010 7.53pm
it is true the guys are friendly and knowlwdgable
when they were in tb rd we got some great recomendations ..
it then doesnt take a genius to reallise you can get the same bottles at oddbins much cheaper and from there they will recommend equally good wines..

i think thats where the business stumbles..

they do ofer great wine and it outclasses sainsburys ( and their constant Q's)?

so is great for the odd bottle of wine...
Saturday 5 June 2010 10.42pm
I'm also really glad to see the six wines eight folks back in the 'hood! They've never steered me wrong with recommendations, and seem genuinely intrigued by culinary pairing challenges.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: