Paddy Power comes to BHS

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 7.27pm
I am sorry to see that Paddy Power the bookmakers have applied for a gaming premises licence on 75-83 Borough High street.Its one down the road from "The George".Hopefully the chief objectors will be the George themselves.What do we have to do to attract some decent and original investment to this street.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 8.51pm
why oh why do we have to have at least ten bookies to each road. Absolutely no road seems to be immune from this particular 'chain'.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 9.20pm
But surely they would not be there if there was no demand?

These companies do a lot of research before committing to a new "shop". I am not for or against them as such - they seem to be reacting to public demand.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 10.07pm
Good stuff. Maybe they'll lay odds on The George becoming a decent pub

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 1 June 2010 10.07pm
you say that, BSB, but look to Rye Lane in Peckham. There this same chain are attempting to obtain planning permission for a supposedly much-loved pub. The locals are campaigning against the pub closing. (Personally I think the pub is a dive but then there are enough bookies in the vicinity.) Same principle here really. William Hill, Ladbrokes et al - surely they all do the same thing?
Tuesday 1 June 2010 10.53pm
My favourite local bookies is William Hill on Weston Street; no passing foot traffic, not a major cut through or thoroughfare but well placed to capture trade from local estates. 9Note: No suggestion that LA estates contain more gamblers just that before the influx of private developments around Weston St and Leathermarket, there was nothing else around apart from the pub on the corner. And no one should suggest that it caters to Guys workers - this is not a common route to transport for Guys.)

It's an unfortunate fact that these are designed to attract in people with ore time on their hands. The proliferation of "fixed odds betting terminal's" (more commonly known as slot machines) has only meant that there is more reason to hang about between bets.

nothing against bookies, like a bet. But concerned that they seem to proliferate not around workplaces but among homeplaces.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: