Brook Drive

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 June 2010 11.53am
Hi,

I am consiodering moving in to Brook Drive and was wandering if anyone had anyone had heard anything about Equinox, the alcohol and drug rehab centre there, or the Brook Drive Centre who provide accomodation for people with learning disabilities.

I am coming from the angle of raising my very young children there, and want to find out if there have been any problems in the street. I appreciate this is a bit of a difficult question, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S
Wednesday 2 June 2010 12.10pm
Dont know about the establishments you mention, but it's a lovely road and I see there are a lot of new people moving in. Dont hesitate, I drive down Brook Drive most days and I've never seen anything alarming. Besides it has exits both ends, and you cant get trapped! Good luck. Enjoy!
Wednesday 2 June 2010 7.33pm
Thanks Jackie.
Thursday 3 June 2010 11.16am
My boyfriend was mugged on Brook Drive by a large group of teenagers and lost all his monthly rent money he had in cash in his pocket. Mind you that was back in 1995!! The street looks much nicer nowadays, as it was gradually improved by people converting the nice houses in 2 bedrooms flats. But there are still lots of youngsters hanging around, looking menacing. I always find it pretty dark and scary at night even though I always pass it by on my bicycle. (it's my personal opinion, I live in Gaywood Street, which is one street away from Brook Drive but does not have this chilly feel).
Thursday 3 June 2010 12.54pm
We started off with a young family in nearby Gilbert Road, and knew several young families in Brook Drive and surrounding streets. I can strongly recommend it. There is a park at the end of the road, and great access to a number of bus services, which make it easy to access quite a range of activities and then schools.

My kids are now 14 and 12, but I doubt things have changed other than the area has got smarter. There will always be an element of grittiness which comes with the SE postcode, but my kids dont regret not having grown up in leafy South West London. The site will show just how many activities there are for kids on the South Bank and elsewhere.
Thursday 3 June 2010 7.38pm
Thanks Connie & Sarah2 appreciate your feedback
Bex
Friday 4 June 2010 1.49pm
Hi Jarmasa - I've just signed up to the SE1 site so that I can reply to your post. I live near to Brook Drive and, though I love this area and thinks it's a great place to bring up kids, I would think twice about moving to Brook Drive specifically. I walk down it fairly often at night if I get the tube back home to Elephant and Castle and occasionally you do get groups of lads hanging about on the street: not necessarily doing anything 'wrong' but just being a bit intimidating. I do worry a bit about our children walking down that street by themselves in the evening when they are older: I think that they are potentially more of a target from other teenagers, than me, a middle aged woman! I've never seen anything troubling connected with the drug rehab centre or the Brook Drive Centre but do feel it's not the best of streets for kids although, as I say, I think the area as a whole is fantastic for children. All the best with whatever you decide to do anyway.
Monday 7 June 2010 8.33am
Welcome Bex!

Teenagers getting home from school on dark evenings is an issue in many parts of the area. Brook Drive is a long street, with the top being reasonably safe, safe access to the middle via West Square, and the bottom having the advantage of being within short walking distance of the Elephant, which has buses which go everywhere in an area where kids go to secondary schools in every direction. (Seriously...North Kent, Wallington, Hammersmith, Wimbledon, Kingston, the City, Dulwich, Tooting and more.) The advantages of being able to use one mode of transport only, probably outweighs a bit of edginess.

Our experience was that when kids are little secondary seems a lifetime away. It is true that though primary is not such a problem, some local secondary schools are troubled. (I suspect though in Brook Drive you are better off on the Southwark side of the street than the Lambeth, as Lambeth has a real problem with school places.) At that point though the number of schools (state and private) within a 30-40 minute commute is extraordinary as long as you are able to jump the required academic, musical, religious, or financial hurdles.

(Perhaps the advice should be: Move to Brook Drive and find God!)
Monday 7 June 2010 11.18am
You can find details of the Brook Drive Centre at:

http://www.southwarkpct.nhs.uk/signpost/index.php?OrganisationID=145

If you are concerned then you could speak to the Met Police and ask about any offences related to the centre. If you look at the crime map:

http://maps.met.police.uk/ (postcode is SE11 4TQ) you'll see that it is "Average"
Tuesday 8 June 2010 7.14am
Of no real significance but Truthmonkey's link (see above) makes reference to the equinox place's e-mail being BROKEdrive - perhaps it is some sort of warning?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: