Bermondsey's Parks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 3 June 2010 4.35pm
Is it just me? or have you noticed that most of the parks are being used as Doggy toilets?
Even though most people are picking up their pet-poo, some are not.
Also why is there always a resident one or two people drinking alcohol?

I'm really a pet-lover I grew up with dogs at home, and loved them a integral part of our family. But surely our parks should be a place of beauty and peace and for exercise and relaxation?
Today I sat down on my blanket and wondered why there was such a bad smell.... looking around i noticed 2 or 3 piles of dog-sh*t in the near vicinity.

I know I probably sound mad, but I got my own plastic bag and cleared it up. As I did yesterday - I picked up 4 randomly thrown empty beer bottles and threw them in the rubbish. Why aren't people taking care of these places more???
Thursday 3 June 2010 6.39pm
It's frustrating for dog owners as well. I have to go stand in the places dogs go to the toilet to clean up after my dogs, and I could become murderous sometimes when I stand in poo!

I also clean up after other dogs and pick up rubbish, so don't worry - you're not If we don't take responsibility, who will.
Friday 4 June 2010 2.52pm
Hi Zoe,

I'm glad I'm not alone, I won't feel like such a freak when I pick up other people's rubbish in future :)

I'm glad to be able to do my own little bit to keeping our parks nice :)))
Friday 4 June 2010 4.01pm
Thankyou, ladies.
Friday 4 June 2010 4.54pm
I've drunk alcohol in Southwark Park. Is it against the rules? Didn't notice a sign. I don't have a dog, but I agree behaviour is worsening on that front, and the hot weather isn't helping...
Sunday 6 June 2010 4.15pm
beingjdc wrote:
I've drunk alcohol in Southwark Park. Is it against the rules? Didn't notice a sign. I don't have a dog, but I agree behaviour is worsening on that front, and the hot weather isn't helping...

It's not the drinking of alcohol which is the problem (it's usually legal in public), it's the throwing of the can or bottle down wherever you are after taking the last drop... Ditto fizzy drink bottles, cigarette packs, sweet wrappers, fast food packs etc. I have seen parents demonstrating to their kids that it's OK behaviour. It seems to be the way the world is these days...
Sunday 6 June 2010 7.36pm
Shouldn't we have dog-free areas, I mean picking up poo is OK (if it suits you), but I would rather no poo in the first place - it must be impossible (I've never tried) to pick it all up, there must be some remains left, and it's kinda ugly. Or is it too much to expect?
Sunday 6 June 2010 7.49pm
Or if you can afford 40 an hour plus 10 travelling expenses, try 'husband to rent', maybe their business is picking up!
Sunday 6 June 2010 9.02pm
Lots of the parks do have dog free areas, such as the children's playgrounds.

Picking up poo isn't about suiting people, it's a legal requirement and you can be fined for not doing it. I think we need to ensure that all dog owners pick up after their dogs, with both council enforcement and campaigns, but also by challenging those who don't pick up.

I find the best way is to shout across the park "do you need a dog bag?". It works every time!!
Sunday 6 June 2010 9.17pm
There is a new tiny triangle of green on Southwark Street, next to the M&S. It is used by office workers for lunch (they usually take their rubbish with them) and a couple, who take their little dog there regularly to poo and wee. Without picking anything up. Sometimes local residents used to take their kids there, that seems to have stopped. Probably because of this posh pooch (I am no expert, but it's some kind of breed, I know that much). I mean, it's not once every other week, you can probably set you watch by it. That dog could do his business anywhere, and his owners could clean up after him, yet they decide to be selfish and spoil a nice spot for everyone else. I am not a direct resident, but I walk past, on my way to work, to the M&S, to the bus stop... I will probably say something. Or am I being petty?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: