Empty Plot on Bear Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 June 2010 6.57pm
Hello - I was wondering if anyone knows what is happening to the big empty plot of land in Bear Lane next door to my apartment - diagonally opposite the new student accomodation? Has this just been land banked by a developer? I heard at one stage a hotel development but surely there are enough hotels in the area now?

Related news & features

Friday 4 June 2010 9.45am
Hi Big Bear,
The planning permission is still in place for the hotel. My understanding is it's going to be a combo of a Crowne Plaza on one side and a Holiday Inn Express on the other with a large conference/event centre on the side face Price's Street. You're right that there are a lot of hotels already in the area but considering it already has permission, and Central London still suffers from an acute under supply of hotel accommodation (alongside Crowne Plaza making a major development push right now), it will likely go ahead at some point. If you check out the Southwark Planning register online for the case number below you can look at related documents such as pictures and plans.

07/AP/2267

On another point, what do you think of living in the area? I'm in the process of buying across the street at the small new scheme on Dolben Street and would be keen for your thoughts on the local area.

Gary
Tuesday 10 August 2010 10.45am
It was originally going to be a Holiday Inn / Staybridge Suites combo, but it's now going to be a Hilton:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4746

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 August 2010 11.53am
Thanks James. have you heard anything about when it's meant to be complete?
Tuesday 10 August 2010 12.01pm
Some of the documents submitted to the council earlier this year for the discharge of planning conditions said that the hotel wanted to be open for Christmas 2011.

That was on the basis that work started on site a couple of months ago, so I imagine it will now be early 2012.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 August 2010 12.05pm
Fast and helpful! Thanks James.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 8.14am
I got this response yesterday from Hilton:

"The hotel to which you are referring is currently scheduled to open in January 2012"

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: