Papa Johns takeaway right on Tower Bridge Road at 168a

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
bev
Friday 4 June 2010 6.05am
Papa John's takeaway pizza have applied to Southwark council that the zone be changed to one that allows fast food (Class 5) and plan to move in around 168a Tower Bridge Road - around Tanner Street.

We are objecting to this (the deadline is June 7th) because we think that having a fast food restaurant move in would have the following negative effects on the community:

- High levels of noise from both customers, passersby and motorists parking illegally for quick pick ups.
- Staff receiving and handling large shipments of goods as early as 4am, resulting in even more noise.
- More extractor fans would make both more noise and deface the building. (A restaurant and a supermarket already exist there)
- This location (Tower Bridge Road is a Red Route) is a thoroughfare on which traffic would be impeded by motorists stopping to pick up takeaway food.
- Because of existing traffic noise levels on Tower Bridge Road, and the noise from the restaurant and supermarket extraction, air-conditioning and heating systems on the other side (the alleyway behind Tower Bridge Road running north from Tanner Street), it is already too noisy for residents to open windows, day or night.

A takeaway in this location would be socially irresponsible and a dereliction of the council's duty to existing residents!

IF YOU DON'T WANT A FAST FOOD RESTAURANT HERE, object by writing to Daniel Davies at Southwark Council, reference 10-AP-1152. Or email planning.applications@southwark.gov.uk
The final deadline for objecting is June 7th 2010.

JOIN THE Facebook group too: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=127832790578089
ADT
Friday 4 June 2010 2.10pm
Most of the existing takeaways in the area don't seem to cause any problems with traffic on the red routes. This includes those on TBR which has at least two kebab shops, two Chinese restaurants/takeaways and two Indian restaurants/takeaways (probably more?). A decent pizza place could be a nice addition to that list in my view. I suppose it might have longer opening hours than the restaurant, but the Costcutter already opens 24/7 doesn't it? Is the noise actually going to be more than the existing noise from the shop/road etc.?
Friday 4 June 2010 2.37pm
We could do with a decent pizza place in the area. Some of your objections seem dramatic...

"High levels of noise from both customers, passersby and motorists"

how do you know?

"Staff receiving and handling large shipments of goods as early as 4am"

extra toppings in a huge truck? - why 4am?

etc
Friday 4 June 2010 3.09pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 4 June 2010 3.25pm
I think it seems like a great location for a new pizza restaurant...

I'm also not sure I understand the objections which seems to suggest that a pizza restaurant would have some sort of disastrous impact on the local area - surely if it's already very busy and very noisy, a pizza restaurant will make very little difference?
bev
Friday 4 June 2010 4.38pm
Do you work for Papa John's?
Friday 4 June 2010 5.33pm
Nope - I don't.

I just hope they succeed in their application. They make top notch pizzas and I look forward to using them.
Friday 4 June 2010 6.00pm
bev, can I ask you....where do you order your pizza from?
Friday 4 June 2010 6.19pm
Papa Johns do great pizzas and no i do not own them, work for them or sleep with papa john himself
on a similar theme though another kebab shop opening soon NEXT to another in Long lane near empire square?? looks like it...no please
Friday 4 June 2010 6.22pm
Wow there's even a facebook page against Papa Johns.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127832790578089

I have nothing against people drawing attention to an application,but sometimes I feel it borders on misuse of this forum.Complain about this application on the points I have suggested etc.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: