Archbishops Open Day, Sat 17 April, Help needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 27 March 2004 8.53am
OK the story so far is that a group of mums got together to prevent developers building on Archbishops Park. Three years later the Church Commissioners granted a 40 year lease to the Local Authority. Partly because we raised 35,000 to have a professional managment plan written for the park which recommends 2.4 million worth of updating/improvements (things like improving the Redgra football pitches, having a cafe and improving the playground), which could not be progressed until there was tenure on the land. We have now raised money to employ Groundwork to implement the plan (including finding the money). But the first step is to ensure that there is local support for the proposals. So we are holding an Open Day on Saturday 17 April from 1.00 -4.00pm.

Deep breath......

We need help. An awful lot has been done by a relatively small group, though we have always intended that any plans represent local needs not our own wishes. But if the plan is to be progressed we do need to be able to prove that it has wide community support. Plus we want it to be right.

So.

1. Come along and invite others. Fulham Football Club will be running a tournament for 6-16 year olds and there will be tennis and cricket. We are putting on an easter egg hunt for smaller kids. Plus a clown and bouncy castle.
2. Can you think of any other activities that you could help with. Alan and a cider press. Mrs IM the bearded lady. Or would you be prepared to donate a couple of hours to help with the consultation, run the tea stall or whatever. Or put up posters beforehand. Every bit will help.
3. Do you have any press or publicity contacts? We as a group have done really well and it should be worth a story somewhere.

I am away for a week but happy to come back to a whole pile of volunteering emails.

Once this consultation is done, the real community effort should be over (I hope) so I can stop posting about parks. It has been tough and support from members of the Forum has really helped. So that you all.

Sarah

PS for those who don't know Archbishops is SE1s largest park and it is opposite St Thomas' A&E and has tennis courts, cricket nets, and two large Redgra pitches. Our plan envisages refurbishment of all these facilities and includes the provision of a trim trail. Its the park you see to your right as you take a train out of Waterloo.
Sunday 28 March 2004 3.00pm
Hi,

Sat 17th is in my diary. great cause. I could run a tea stall. Sell organic carrot juice for funds. etc

Kevin
Monday 29 March 2004 8.41am
Sorry Sarah

Both me and Mrs I will be on holiday. Hope it goes well though.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
jac
Monday 29 March 2004 9.28am
Sarah

Sorry I am away that weekend too (at a baptism in hampshire), so I am unable to help, I will pass the word around when picking up my youngest from St.George's primary school, so hopefully some of the kids and parents from there will go.

Good Luck
Monday 29 March 2004 1.15pm
Hi Sarah,

Good luck with this. I'm sorry I won't be able to make it, but I'm off to Australia for a month.

TLMJJ
Monday 29 March 2004 9.30pm
Sarah - would love to help any way possible. Not much time to let people know, but if you could email me some info, I will pass the word around and at least get people to come along. I know what it's like fighting developers - have been doing it myself for the past two years!

Please contact me and we'll take it from there. Don't know if I'm allowed to leave email address but I will try - it is jenny_marquis@hotmail.com

Recently revived our action group - Blackfriars Community Action Group and some of our boys attend the football held at the park, so would love to help if poss.

Jenny
Sunday 4 April 2004 9.24am
Thanks all. Just back from a week's holiday (nice) and will be in contact.

Rest of you be sure to come along!

Sarah
Sunday 11 April 2004 9.15am
Details are beginning to shape up.

Football tournament from 1.00pm
Cricket, tennis, bouncy castle, Easter Egg hunt.

Hope to get a tea stall together. Great if Kevin could email directly. In the past Fine Crown have been generous in donating sticky buns.

Still need people with medical/first aid qualifications to be stewards. Little to do except be there to cart the sick and injured to St Thomas' opposite. Also happy to email posters to people will to print and put up in, say, local libraries, hospitals etc.

Most of all need people to come along and ensure that we do capture a proper community voice. The pressure at the moment, coming largely from local employers, seems to be for more and more sport, whilst my instinct, which is backed up by the research we have done to date, is that people want green and play facilities as well. A good turn out will put us in a good position to argue for an appropriate balance.
Wednesday 14 April 2004 10.14am
Good luck on Saturday, sadly I'm working.
Wednesday 14 April 2004 4.34pm
Sarah

Sorry not to have got in touch earlier. It looks like I can only offer help on Saturday morning to set up - is that any use to you?

Also, do you need any posters/notices laminating? I can do A4/A3 for you for nothing on my own machine (every home should have one!).

If you can e-mail copy to me this evening, I'll endeavour to drop them off at your place tomorrow on way to work, otherwise Friday lunchtime.

I've now included my "pseudonymous" e-mail in my SE1 profile if you've lost it

Rabbie
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: