Southbankside (???)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 27 March 2004 6.47pm
"HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

This is the sound of me laughing out loud at the Guardian's latest column on property, in today's paper (p71 of the weekend magazine) which covers the area where I (we) live.

So what does it say for those unwilling to invest 1.10 of their hard earned wages?

Well, apparently:

...it is an 'up and coming' neighbourhood (pretty sharp, those Guardian journos).

...it is still difficult to buy a pint of milk here (eh? it has never been difficult buy milk, or jam or a paper etc..).

...urban grit 'in spades' with creepy viaducts and S&M clubs (that sounds fun!)

Made me spill my monmouth coffee !

Post edited (27 Mar 04 18:48)
Saturday 27 March 2004 6.51pm
Thanks for pointing that out red bus

The article is online at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,1177711,00.html

The author of the piece, Tom Dyckhoff, has posted on this forum in the past...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 29 March 2004 9.41am
Terrible piece...
Monday 29 March 2004 9.58am
Full of nothing.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 29 March 2004 2.10pm
Should the second syllable of his surname read "head"? I feel like I'm just begining to cave in under the creeeping asault of the estate agents and all they spout. What exactly does up and coming mean? Is it explainable without insulting or patronising those of us who lived here when it was (what IS the opposite of up and coming?) SoBo free?
Monday 29 March 2004 3.14pm
I dare you to call them - few on Bermondsey Street you could phone - they'll keep you guessing for days!! Well said Mr B - could rephrase 'up and coming' as 'currently a toilet - needs some work but will be fine once we've finished...' Patronising? No. Honest - refreshing...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: