Simon Hughes - new Lib Dem Deputy Leader

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 June 2010 4.00pm
Well done to SH on his latest success. Maybe the coalition will work!

Related news & features

Friday 11 June 2010 7.23am
I don't really thinks Simon is a fan of it.
Friday 11 June 2010 7.56am
I'm not a huge SH fan - however, he seems to do a good job for us as MP.

But I am wondering how his new role will detract from his current Southwark MP duties? Great for his career, bad for Southwark residents and voters??
Friday 11 June 2010 8.00am
I'm pretty sure he'll be able to combine both roles effectively. Did anyone notice a dip in representation when he was President of the Lib Dems? That role probably took more of his time than this will.
Friday 11 June 2010 12.13pm
Simon Hughes? Oh yes - the man who, when pressed about details of his private life, decided the best approach would be to lies to the national media until finally he's outed and has no option but to come clean.

Regardless of political stripes, I prefer that my elected leaders have the spine to stand up for what they believe in, and not to buckle when the going gets tough.

I now have difficulty seeing him as anything other than a liar.
Friday 11 June 2010 3.30pm
deek wrote:
Simon Hughes? Oh yes - the man who, when pressed about details of his private life, decided the best approach would be to lies to the national media until finally he's outed and has no option but to come clean.

"no option but to come clean"? It's not as if he did anything illegal. His private life is private, I don't understand why some people insist dragging other people's lives into the open.
Friday 11 June 2010 4.27pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
deek wrote:

"no option but to come clean"? It's not as if he did anything illegal. His private life is private, I don't understand why some people insist dragging other people's lives into the open.

I think it might be related to him standing against Peter Tatchell - and a pretty homophobic stance taken by the Liberals at the time while hypocritically putting up Simon Hughes as someone whose sexuality was not questionable. Not the Liberals or Simon's finest hour. Private life is fine but you shouldn't be throwing stones if you live in a glass house!
Friday 11 June 2010 4.28pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
His private life is private, I don't understand why some people insist dragging other people's lives into the open.

Don't think it's that as such mate - nobody really cares about his private life. It's the lies and hypocrisy that went along with it that folks can't stomach in an MP, me thinks.
Friday 11 June 2010 5.12pm
Here we go again......I'm outahere........
Sunday 20 June 2010 8.25am
Because it was so long ago, it's been virtually forgotten how homo/xenophobic the Lib Dem election campaign against Tatchell was. Hughes was a better candidate, said the Lib Dems, because he was "local" (not some nasty Australian (though I don't hear a Bermondsey drawl in the cut-glass speaking voice) and because he was "normal" (which was subtext for straight). I knew at the time that they were lying on the former and there is a cruel irony that 25 odd years down the line, we find out he was lying on the latter as well. Neither mattered then, nor matter now, but isn't that called being hoisted by your own petard? I wonder what th Daily Telegraph have stored up on dear little Simon, should he ever enter the Cabinet? That might well be another piece of furniture that he'll be ousted from pdq!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: