View of the Monument

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 13 June 2010 11.23pm
View of the Monument ,
I noticed from outside the entrance to City hall there is a strange edifice like a box on stilts sticking up directly behind the monument,

From Tower bridge it looks worse in profile appearing next to the monument , by the time you get to the Angel pub however it is only encroaching on the view from the right side , in between the angel pub and the mayflower it finely vanishes behind st Catharine dock . I cant imagine why on earth it was given planning permission .
I find it pissing me off every time I see it.
TAK
Monday 14 June 2010 2.37am
I guess it looks like kinda a grey, probably three storey tall 'box'?

If so, I think this might the the Rotschild bank extension at Bank designed by OMA.

OMA - 'New Court'
Monday 14 June 2010 12.15pm
TAK wrote:
I guess it looks like kinda a grey, probably three storey tall 'box'?
If so, I think this might the the Rotschild bank extension at Bank designed by OMA.

OMA - 'New Court'

That is the offending item,

There is no need for that three story box at the top

Impinging on famous views, just so they can steel that view.
Tuesday 15 June 2010 4.37pm
I also have to say this is one of the things that bothers me about the shard of glass, (not actually the building itself ) but the effect it could have of creating a free for all in the London bridge area both sides of the river, spoiling the elegant profile of the monument a landmark that can only be seen silhouetted against the clear sky from limited view points to the east , notable tower bridge area and Rotherhithe,
This must not be allowed to happen,
The monument area wasn't improved in the early 90s just so some bank could own the view.
Tuesday 15 June 2010 11.23pm
I remember when I went up the Monument back in '89 the view being very disappointing. It was hemmed in on all sides by tall ugly buildings, many of which have now disappeared. It would be sad to see the view being obscured again, especially after they spent so much money doing it up a couple of years ago.

Sadly I'll never be able to climb the Monument again due to infirmity and asthma!
Wednesday 16 June 2010 9.33pm
Auntie Pat wrote:
It would be sad to see the view being obscured again, especially after they spent so much money doing it up a couple of years ago.
you took the word out my mouth,
I think I whent up in 1989 as well.
Friday 16 July 2010 2.35pm
I did get a reply from city hall on this issue and I'm afraid it wasn't a good one.

Apparently the Mayor of London can't comment on the monument to the great fire of London because its not of strategic importance,

Well I'm a afraid that's not good in my book,

No wonder Prince Charles has to get involved with planning issues in London.

He's filling a gap, and the only High profile person not afraid to comment On what the ordinary person feels about these issues.
Friday 16 July 2010 3.56pm
Was that antenna like attachment on top of the flames always there and what is it? I only noticed it a few days ago. Looks like an old TV rabbits ears.
Thursday 29 July 2010 1.04am
If that piece of Land on Fenchurch street is where the Walky-Talky will go (if its built) it will be horribly close to the monument, god knows what that will do to the view from the Angel pub.
Thursday 29 July 2010 5.15pm
mickysalt wrote:
No wonder Prince Charles has to get involved with planning issues in London.
He's filling a gap, and the only High profile person not afraid to comment On what the ordinary person feels about these issues.

He doesn't have to get involved. The only gap he's filling is one he has 'created' for himself. Needs to give his life some meaning I suppose, but I doubt he's presuming to speak for anyone but himself when he interferes.

What's an 'ordinary' person? By your definition someone who agrees with him, perhaps?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: