Guerilla Gardening

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 June 2010 11.34pm
Not a new subject, but there appears to be resistance!
Last evening I planted a couple of geraniums, some morning glory and a nasturtium or two (all grown from seed) at the base of some lovely Trees For Cities ornamental pears and this evening there they were - gone!
Any suggestions as to why they were removed?
I have my suspicions.......
Thursday 17 June 2010 9.49am
Where?
Perhaps the squirrels ate them - their aesthetic appreciation lacks finesse.
Thursday 17 June 2010 10.22am
Beautiful flowers perhaps appealed to someone who was very hard up? it's a shame Jaybee per haps next time just throw some seeds down....
Thursday 17 June 2010 11.01am
Hi JayBee,
If you'd said you went back a week later and they were gone I would have said the Nasturtiums had been killed by blackfly, (they are very attractive to those little blighters who hide under the leaves and systematically suck the plants dry. They would then have just shrivelled to nothing.) The Morning Glory I would have guessed would just have died the death. (I've never had any success with those,) and I would have said the Geraniums, (I expect you mean Pelargoniums and not the old fashioned 'Cranesbill,' which are the true Geraniums and will thrive anywhere,)had been nicked. Unfortunately, it sounds like they've all been nicked.
When I lived in a small Lincolnshire village a few years ago I bought a large sack of Daff bulbs and planted them along the verges. The following spring they looked an absolute picture and I was feeling very pleased about my contribution towards beautiying the village. One Sunday Morning I was walking my dog when a car pulled up, a woman got out and started to pick the daffs. I was too far away to say much, except to shout out, "Oi!" She either didn't hear me, or just ignored me and climbed back into the passenger seat with a huge armful of Daffs and off they went. It obviously didn't cross her mind for one moment why those flowers were there, or that someone had spent time and money planting them. (15 for the bulds and four hours work on a cold and wet October morning.) To her they were just a 'freebie.'
I'm afraid these days if you don't nail it down it's gonna walk.
Monday 21 June 2010 9.19am
I planted a variety of stuff under the tree outside my flat on Thurday night including a Lavender plant and a Marguerite. So far they are still there...here's hoping. I really like the idea of 'pimping the pavement' particularly since we are no longer allowed to grow stuff on our balconies due to the leaseholder clamping down on the fire regs. after the Peckham fire. (The balconies are deemed communal space). We are also no longer supposed to keep our bikes there so mine is locked up in the car park...Again here's hoping no-one fancies it!
Tuesday 22 June 2010 11.32pm
Thanks for the feedback folks. Chalkey, I appreciate the distinction between Geraniums and Pelargoniums but have found that whatever I have go on for years and are easily propogated. I love them when they go all leggy! Blackfly on Nasturtiums - spray with washing-up liquid (diluted), or plant garlic (it works next to roses)next to it. I had such a lovely greeting this morning, seeing a border of Red Hot Pokers appear on Toulmin Street - they looked fabulous. Note the past tense. They were all beheaded this evening. Not stolen, just vandalised. Oh, well.
Tuesday 22 June 2010 11.49pm
I love it when I spot little bits of guerrilla gardening around the place and I just don't get the mentality of people who destroy other peoples' work.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: