Railway Tunnel Westminster Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 20 June 2010 9.31pm
Does anyone know if Lambeth is going to do up this eyesore?It is forming a natural barrier and visitors to the area don't want to venture any further to see Lower Marsh etc.It would be great if illuminated,cleaned on a regular basis and chromed instead of being dang and uninviting.
Monday 21 June 2010 10.39am
I agree, I walk under the bridge everyday on the way to and from work and it is such a contrast when you emerge on the other side to the massive hotel. I have never felt unsafe under the bridge, but it is pretty manky, and after it has rained there are lots of drips. So far I have avoided pigeon droppings but it can only be a matter of time!

I had heard that the Park Plaza people were supposed to be investing money in making it nicer (along with other bits of the local area) but when the hotel was finished that bit was forgotten, but I heard that second hand so it may not be true.

A bit of a clean, some better lighting and some directions for the tourists would make a world of difference.
Monday 21 June 2010 12.05pm
Lambeth's planning applications committee dealt with this on 28 April - scroll to the bottom to see their decision:
http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/moderngov/mgAi.aspx?ID=11211

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 21 June 2010 12.21pm
Thanks James,

Hopefully we will see some improvements very soon!
Monday 21 June 2010 11.13pm
Why do they need to paint/graffiti proof the walls?

I though that under all that grime - which is probably held on by a century of oil oozing through from trains and points on the tracks, the wall surfaces are mostly glazed bricks, which ought to come up quite nicely if they steam clean.
Tuesday 22 June 2010 2.14am
I remember there were some glazed bricks under the bridge. we often used to wait there for a bus when I was little. There used to be a lovely echo, if I recall!
Wednesday 23 June 2010 1.26pm
Wow thanks James.Lets hope it happens asap!This is one of the portals to south London and less than 1 mile from the powers that be.So bring it on....fast.

I am just surprised buinesses on Lower Marsh have not kicked off about losing customers long ago
Wednesday 2 March 2011 10.40am
I noticed last night that they have now started to clean up this tunnel

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 2 March 2011 12.11pm
Great news.

Would be nice if they could resurface the road there too - it's horrible.
Wednesday 2 March 2011 7.45pm
I like it as it is.Gives the area character and stops the landlords fleecing everyone, like what is happening in the Cut at the moment.

That little part of North Lambeth is benefits from the lack of the middle class and their corrosive effects on the working class.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: