Supermarket Shocker

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
donna flavia Wednesday 23 June 2010 12.02pm
I have stopped as much as humanley possible using Sainsburys on BHS because of constant over charging.
When I got to fourteen times in three monthes I gave in. On most occasions I got an immidiate refund, on one occasion I was told I could not have a refund as I did nothave my nectar card with me!On a couple I had to get help from their head office where my complaints were upheld. On most cases it has been due to the tills being programmed wrongly to the price marked, or the store putting offers on the wrong products

I have started using Tesco near Old Street(called East Street Shoreditch Metro) a newish small store as it is handy for a journey I make.
I have now got in the habit of checking my receipt with a fine tooth comb before leaving the store. I have been overcharged every week for the last two monthes, last week I was overcharged three days in the row. Between 2pence and 4.49. I have flagged this up to the manager on at least six occasions.
I have now made a complaint ( sick of this) to their head office and was told I should been offered a refund of twice the price, I had been overcharged as part of their price promise!

So I would urge you lovely SE1 ers to check your receipts, I fear this could be part of the reason the supermarkets are announcing such huge profits!
Andrew H Wednesday 23 June 2010 1.58pm
I don't quite understand your approach. If I had been overcharged even once at a particular shop, I would be vigilant next time they were ringing up my shopping, and point out any errors there and then.

Why are you escalating complaints in this way rather than just pointing out the error at the time?
donna flavia Wednesday 23 June 2010 2.28pm
Andrew H wrote:
I don't quite understand your approach. If I had been overcharged even once at a particular shop, I would be vigilant next time they were ringing up my shopping, and point out any errors there and then.
Why are you escalating complaints in this way rather than just pointing out the error at the time?

Hi Andrew
Sorry maybe i did not make it clear. Everytime on my receipt I saw I had been overcharged I flagged it up at the time in the store. This has happened in both Sainsburys and Tesco, I have only esculatd the complaint when A/ On two occasions the store manager in Sainsburys BHS,refused to sanction a refund because the tills were programmed wrong and said I would have to go higher. Or B/in Tesco's case when I have been repeatedly over charged many times on the same products. Both myself and also I have witnessed other customers, flagging this up at the time the error has been realised.
Tesco's H.O have told me they have had many of the same complaints re this store. The store manager as well as keeping 'the price promise' should they say,be able to reset/reprogramme errors and have guidelines on who to contact if they have problems.
I feel my approach has been in that respect the correct one. Sorry if my post was misleading.
Gavin Smith Wednesday 23 June 2010 10.20pm
I am extremely tight and will hold them to their price promises.

I believe the Tesco "price promise" is that if they overcharge you at the till, they will refund you twice the difference. I had an excellent refund (after making some noise) at Surrey Quays. Depends on how much fuss you want to cause; for me it is a matter of principle.
donna flavia Wednesday 23 June 2010 10.31pm
Thanks Gavin. I knew nothing of it, until their customer services mentioned it today and I should have got it each time!Will not letthat go by,again
mikew Friday 25 June 2010 3.10pm
I would report this to Trading Standards also, as their constent overcharging should be investigated.
donna flavia Friday 25 June 2010 4.11pm
Yes I plan to waiting on the area manager's response first. He/She was supposed to call me as a matter of urgency last Monday. I will give it a week before going a head.
Julia T Monday 28 June 2010 2.27pm
Hi All

I am reassured to read your postings. I had similar bad experiences with Sainsbury's on BHS.

Wrong prices, especially with offers (2 for 1, for example). Of course I always complained immediately. But they take their time to find the manager and then it takes ages to get your money back and not with a very apologetic manner.

It is not worth going there. Obviously, seeing from your postings, they do not learn but cheat on purpose (with all the backpackers maybe worth it for them?).
Well, I only had once a problem with the Sainsbury's on Waterloo Road, immediate apology and correction (didn't take them 2 minutes). Maybe that shop's manager could teach BHS stuff a thing or two about ethics and about satisfied customers being loyal?

Yes, all of you who use that shop, please do check your receipts carefully, will save you money!
beetroot Wednesday 30 June 2010 9.41pm
I doubt this is exclusive to BHS branch, but that's where I often buy they're freerange woodland eggs. When you're next in, open a box of large and medium and see if there's a difference.
donna flavia Thursday 1 July 2010 3.50pm
Will do Beetroot but am avoiding Sainsburies as much as poss. Buy my free range eggs from Borough Market 1.50 and lovely ( Beef stall at new bit of Market atthe back)
Got an email back from Tesco Head office re Tesco nr Old St. ( see original posting) I emailed them last Friday when the area manager failed to call me back after a week as customer services had advised ( I chased this up-still no call) I was told they could not investigate my individule complaints re all the timesI have been overcharged? Even though cutomer services have record of nearly all of these? They would send me a gift card as good will for 20.00 and hope this covers all the amounts I have been overcharged-it doesn't. It did not mention why they woud not take my loyalty vouchers, why I was not being offered the Price Promise ( I raised these points) And that the area manager would call me? They still have not! In the meantime I was overcharged 76 pence there last night on watercress!!!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions