Cyclist in accident corner BHS and Dover St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
phoney Wednesday 23 June 2010 12.22pm
She looked about 25 years old and according to a bystander she suffered compound fractures.
I waited until the woman was taken away by ambulance before taking photos below.
Didn't see the actual accident so can't comment. From photos below the Keltbray lorry turning left and that is a very tight corner.
If a vehicle hits a cyclist or a cylict hits a vehicle the outcome is usually the cyclist comes off worst so NEVER cycle beside a large vehicle at a junction, always stay behind allow the lorry/bus to go ahead. A few seconds delay might save your life.

Related news & features

Advertisement

Gavin Smith Wednesday 23 June 2010 1.22pm
Is it me or do Keltbray lorries seem to be involved in lots of cyclist accidents? I agree it is an awful corner but from the photo you took it seems like the lorry had cut the corner too tightly in any event (he was going to 'kerb' it from the looks of thinsg. Without casting aspersions, if he had checked his left mirror he ought to have seen the cyclist without any doubt?
jackt Wednesday 23 June 2010 1.41pm
I've just written to Keltbray with some questions. Letter below.

Dear Leigh Richards,

I present a radio programme about cycling in London. I have learned of two incidents today involving Keltbray lorries and cyclists today on the streets of London.

The first resulted in serious injuries, and could have been far worse. See the pictures here:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/128207

There will clearly have to be a police investigation of this and I wouldn't want to prejudge the outcome.

The second was a report by another woman cyclist of a Keltbray lorry passing too fast and too close during this morning's daily commute. She informed me of the incident after hearing of the collision mentioned above.

I'd like to ask what action Keltbray is taking to avoid these kinds of incidents taking place, whether it be driver training, installation of safety equipment or other measures. Can you confirm that Keltbray drivers are not remunerated on piece rates, which can clearly generate incentives to drive too fast and cut corners (literally as well as metaphorically)? Has Keltbray conducted any assessment of the number of collisions or other incidents involving cyclists in which its drivers have been involved?

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours sincerely

Jack Thurston
The Bike Show
Resonance 104.4fm
Mondays 6.30-7pm
jamesup Wednesday 23 June 2010 2.00pm
Ouch. I hope she is ok.

It's a mess of a junction.

Phoney, agreed - never get there between a truck and the railings in moving traffic. BUT I'll always go to the front, rather than staying behind them - statistically it is safer, and if they are beeping and shouting at you - they surely know where you are.
ssimps01 Wednesday 23 June 2010 2.15pm
See the picture on the thread on the Cycle Superhighway I posted earlier today.

Borough High Street and Southwark Bridge Road are full of lorries.
There is hardly a road in the area that doesn't mix lorries and cyclists. Accidents are bound to happen until lorries are barred from at least one main route.

Having said that - I pulled up in front a lorry turning left yesterday at the north end of Southwark Bridge. It had an automated announcement saying "lorry turning left", and wasy beeping. Just like the normal "lorry reversing" thing. It was very annoying - but maybe a good idea.
Charles Alfred Wednesday 23 June 2010 3.52pm
Apparently Keltbray has fitted safety equipment of the kind referred to by ssimps01 to a number of tipper lorries in its 32-vehicle fleet:

http://www.keltbray.com/NewsandPress/default.asp?page=1&i=63&id=315

However, it was evidently not fitted to the lorry involved in today's incident.

(Just re-read the item and I realise it's supposed to have been fitted to ALL of the vehicles in the fleet. So how did this happen??)
beetroot Wednesday 23 June 2010 4.16pm
Muhammed Haris Ahmed was killed by Keltbray.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4414
Was it Keltrbay that killed Professor David Vilaseca as well?
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4352
Zoe Wednesday 23 June 2010 6.20pm
I got into a lorry on BHS when the lorry cycle safety unit were there and you really can't see a cyclist from a lorry unless they are quite far out in front. I have always been careful around lorries but being in that lorry really brought it home to me how invisible we are on our bikes. I often think that the cyclists who jump the lights, while horribly anti-social, are probably safer as they are away before the lorries get going.

I've noticed it's Keltbray lorries as well, is it that they have the Shard contract so there are loads in the area?
beetroot Wednesday 23 June 2010 6.24pm
Zoe wrote:
I've noticed it's Keltbray lorries as well, is it that they have the Shard contract so there are loads in the area?

Probably partially, but I've also seen that lots of them drive like total lunatics. I mean jaw-droppingly insane no-care for anyone driving.
Tom Pepper Wednesday 23 June 2010 8.03pm
I saw the aftermath of today's accident while heading north along BHS to turn right into Great Dover St. and then left into Long Lane.
Noting that it was a Keltbray truck, and seeing the mangled bicycle my first thought was that I hoped to God the cyclist was okay.
My second thought was, as soon as I log on to the forum this evening, as sure as night follows day there will be a line of posters clamouring for a ban on trucks, or claiming that Keltbray drivers are the modern day equivalent of Rome's charioteers.
First off, I have NO idea whatsoever of who was at fault in this incident, but as the holder of a Class 1 HGV licence, albeit not having driven one for 20 years, I can attest to the fact that a left turn from GDS into BHS is one hell of a lot easier with an articulated vehicle than with an 8 wheeled tipper, (I know they have more than eight wheels, but they are called 8 wheelers because they have 4 axles).
They just do not have the steering "lock" to make it an easy manoeuvre. The truck would have to be virtually in the right turn lane prior to turning left in order to successfully negotiate the turn.
Nothing wrong in that, providing he had his left turn indicators flashing.
Part of the problem in these incidents is the fact that other road users, cyclists, motor cyclists, car drivers etc. do not appear to have the ability to "read" a given situation, or can "read" it but choose to ignore the obvious.
If a truck or other large vehicle was in the offside lane but clearly indicating a left turn, they seem to think (a) he's got the wrong indicator on, or (b), I can see that he's going to turn left but I can get up the inside before he does turn.
I reiterate, I have NO idea whether the cyclist took a chance and tried to go round "with" the truck as it turned, or whether the cyclist was ahead of the truck and the driver passed him/her, then made the turn.
I am just saying that as someone who drives the streets of London daily, I can state with a certainty that it emphatically is NOT always the truck driver at fault.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions