Briefing, Meeting and Lighting at The Tanneries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 28 June 2010 4.22pm
Southwark collaboration with Sellar over SPD revealed under Freedom of Information Act

The long awaited reply to our FOI request of Southwark Council to explain Sellar's role in the production of the SPD is now with us. No surprises, they weren't happy to disclose it all but there is quite enough to show what a starring role Sellar played in the drafting of the SPD. Given how much Sellar stands to gain from the planners doing what he tells them this is obviously a scandal.

In a stark change of policy from their previous extreme reticence and minimal responses Southwark this time decided to bury the detail in a forest-worth of paper. We are still ploughing our way through this material - and looking for volunteers to help with investigation of a variety of newly revealed dimensions to the plot.

Continued on BSTOWERS

Bermondsey Village Action Group (BVAG)
Meeting Wednesday 30 June, 7:00 PM, The Tanneries

Our investigations into Southwark Planners, their collaboration with Sellar and their now revealed secrecy over the SPD has opened a can of worms. This has been implicitly acknowledged by the Council's acceptance of the need for a genuine and open period of consultation.

We have decided to establish a new group of interested local people to ensure that local people are not shut out of the planning process in the way that they have in relation to Sellar's Three Spires proposal and the SPD consultation.

Tasks for the group will include:

Organising a presentation for the consultation period so that local people can have a genuine understanding and awareness of the issues and proposals in order to form and express their opinions. This will be in Globe House and will run for the duration of the consultation period: 6 September - 15 October.

Keeping a closer watch on what the local planners might be up to and ensuring it is exposed to wider scrutiny.

Lobbying for the preservation and enhancement of the character, and particularly the historic buildings, of the Bermondsey Village area.

Anyone interested is welcome to attend a briefing on all this on Wednesday at 7:00pm at The Tanneries.

Guerilla Lighting

A group of exterior lighting designers/enthusiasts,
will be coming to The Tanneries as part of a local event in which they illuminate for just a few minutes certain landmarks or features of the local environment. They are expected at the Tanneries just after dark. Spectators and anyone attending the meeting will be welcome to stay for a drink and the highlighting of the Tanning Pits and the Container Tower.
Monday 28 June 2010 10.07pm
i wish i could come but i've got to be down in birghton that night.
Tuesday 29 June 2010 6.33pm
So, are you now competing with the Bermondsey Street Area Parnership or operating alongside and in addition to it? Just curious about motives, when BSAP has been operating quite successfully for some time now.
Tuesday 29 June 2010 9.11pm
Yes I am curious about that too, particularly given that BSAP have had presentations from Sellar about the Three Spires development.
I am unsure how Shiva can say that there has been no local consultation unless I am imagining the 2 BSAP meetings that I have attended!
Obviously any major development will be contentious and consultation is indeed vital. It does however seem to be rather strange to be setting up an action group when a perfectly well established and respected local residents group exists and has been engaged as a consultation channel. A more cynical man than I would suspect ulterior motives from those behind BVAG!
Wednesday 30 June 2010 8.30am
I'm all for finding out more...the so called consultation with whoever passed me right I am very bemused by why the BSAP failed equally along with SC to promote any awareness of this proposal.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: