Car Club car spaces

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 29 June 2010 5.21pm
Hi

Would someone explain to me why there are Car Club car spaces on and around SE1? And who are they?

Aren't the roads public (of which we all pay towards)? So why is there a private firm getting essential car spaces for themselves?

Does that mean I can buy my space outside my property?

Regards
Becki
Zoe
Tuesday 29 June 2010 5.24pm
I think the rational is that car clubs are green as they take cars off the road, so the local authority is supporting them. You can't buy the space, unfortunately!
Tuesday 29 June 2010 6.54pm
Fair point B - I s'pose you could buy a load of (electric) cars & set up a car club, you'd get free parking in Westminster too! not sure how many you'd need to buy. If I offered to lend my '86 Mk 2 Golf to you, and asked to borrow yours, are we a car club?
Like Brian W said "We'll start a Car Club"
But I don't want 'The roughest and the toughest initiation'....
Tuesday 29 June 2010 8.40pm
Becki wrote:
Would someone explain to me why there are Car Club car spaces on and around SE1? And who are they?

They are typically owned by Streetcar (http://www.streetcar.co.uk/location.aspx?location=1621) to provide a dedicated spot for their pay as you go cars. It's not much different to residents parking, and although the spaces is granted to the company, it is really for the benefit of the local community at large. With too many people and not enough space, it's a worthwhile approach.

Despite the good intentions, when returning a car on Saturday to their bay on Weston Street, I found a taxi parked in the middle of it. Maybe they should be painted ‘super highway' blue. Nobody would dare park in them then :-)
Wednesday 30 June 2010 7.34am
Streetcar has now been taken over by Zipcar and the mereger is progressing....perhaps the spaces could be painted Zipcar Green.

The rationale is as people have pointed out to provide a service for the local community and as such means people don't have to own their own car(s) so 1 space with a PAYG car in it saves lots of cars filling up spaces which become unecessary.
Wednesday 30 June 2010 9.19am
Becki wrote:
Hi

Aren't the roads public (of which we all pay towards)? So why is there a private firm getting essential car spaces for themselves?

Does that mean I can buy my space outside my property?

Regards
Becki

Yes. It's a scandal. And another thing, what about those disabled spaces?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 30 June 2010 9.52am
The whole thing stinks actually. There is already a shortage of spaces for residents. The car club spaces are always empty. PUBLIC ROAD PRIVATE COMPANY!! I smell a rat and maybe a richer one now.
Wednesday 30 June 2010 10.34am
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/100011/transport_and_streets/1378/car_club/5

This is a Sthk Council measure. If you really believe it's born of corruption, you could do some investigation.

As to the bays "always being empty", whereas you say that empty residents' bays are in short supply, that could simply indicate that the car club cars are always in use.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 30 June 2010 11.04am
I can understand the frustration with the shortage of parking space. But I think we should look at the bigger picture - car clubs can free up space for residents who own cars rather than restrict parking space.

I don't own a car now, but use the car club cars.
If there wasn't a car club I could use I would buy a car and try and park it on the road. Many other poeple would do the same.

Allocating one space to a car club means residents who do own cars should find it easier to park, not harder.
Wednesday 30 June 2010 11.29am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Yes. It's a scandal. And another thing, what about those disabled spaces?

Don't forget the bus stops... They take up *LOADS* of room. And they are ALWAYS EMPTY!!!!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: