Removing traffic lights

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Zoe
Thursday 1 July 2010 6.01pm
"TfL has identified the pelican crossings opposite Potters Fields Park and the Unicorn Theatre as potentially surplus to requirements.

The traffic lights at the junction between Tooley Street, Hay's Lane and Stainer Street could also be removed, as well as the signals which control the junction of Bermondsey Street and Tooley Street."

Mmmmm, I'm not keen on this idea, the Hays Lane/Stainer Street junction is really busy with the most inobservant pedestrians.

I use the two crossings at Potter's Field and the Unicorn quite regularly, but I suppose I'll just have wait a bit longer to longer or run a bit more.
Thursday 1 July 2010 8.42pm
I say rip them out! The eastbound traffic is so congested outside the London Dungeon / Hays Galleria. Its all caused by the four sets of traffic lights in a row which don't seem to coordinate properly. The lines of standing traffic are really giving a negative feel to the area. Keep one pedestrian crossing and one for Stainer St. The other two can go...
Zoe
Thursday 1 July 2010 8.53pm
Yet the Stainer Street lights could just be synced better, they really are timed badly. There are so many pedestians in that bit that I think the road would need to be redesigned a bit to cope with not having a crossing.
Friday 2 July 2010 3.52pm
I think you are right, Zoe. All too often pedestrian crossings are not linked with the traffic lights so you wait your turn, get a green and then have to stop 30 yards further on, so the traffic behind then blocks the junction, e.g. along Jamaica Road at St James Rd/Bermondsey tube.

At other places the traffic lights are very close but are not (visibly) linked, e.g. along Tower Bridge Road at Abbey Street and Grange Road, so again the traffic is blocked when there's a green.

I often use buses along Jamaica Road where the road markings at each junction do not help: cars legally cross the lights in the left lane and then have to push in right but can't in stationary traffic, thereby blocking the bus behind...

Another issue is the "imaginary pedestrian" where the traffic lights are programmed to ALWAYS allow pedestrians to cross even when no-one is there to push the button (e.g Surrey Quays Road and Canada St, or Redriff Road outside Surrey Quays Tesco).
Saturday 3 July 2010 10.45am
another way to speed up traffic would be to allow left turns on a red light after stopping
Sunday 4 July 2010 9.11am
Removing the lights at Great Suffolk St / Union st junction will mean that that is no longer a safe way to walk to school. Before they were installed the junction used to be really dangerous with fast traffic from multiple directions.
Wednesday 7 July 2010 6.36pm
Riverside Parents are staging a protest against the Mayor's proposal to close the two pedestrian crossings on Tooley St at Potters Fields and the Unicorn theatre - PLEASE BE THERE!

Who: Parents with or without children, buggies, bikes, scooters, babies, toddlers, grandparents, nannies, childminders, uncles, aunts, neighbours!
When: Tomorrow 10am
Where: Entrance to Potters Fields on Tooley Street
What: Riverside Parents will be joined by our GLA representative Val Shawcross to protest. South London Press will be covering the protest.

The press release from Val's office is below, so get your angry faces on!!

The GLA also sit on the Potters Fields trust so this is a great opportunity for us to get Val involved in our campaign for kids facilities on Potters Fields.

LONDONASSEMBLYLABOUR
press office: 020 7983 6558

operational note

Parents' demonstrate against proposed removal of Tooley Street pedestrian crossings

Photo/Interview Opportunity: Thursday 8th July 2010, 10am
Meet 10am outside Tooley Street entrance to Potters Fields, SE1

Angry Southwark parents will take to the streets to highlight their fears about TfL's proposal to remove a number of pedestrian crossings in Tooley Street this Thursday, amid claims that the move would put the safety of children living nearby and visiting the area in jeopardy.

Riverside Parents' and Carers Association are angry at the proposals, which would see two pedestrian crossings adjacent to the popular Potters Fields park and Unicorn Children's Theatre decommissioned and removed.

Sophie Vokes-Dudgeon of the Riverside Parents' and Carers' Group said ‘The Potters Fields crossing is constantly used by parents of young children trying to avoid the busy crossroads at Tower Bridge. Countless children use the Unicorn crossing every day as they visit the theatre which was specifically built for them. To remove either crossing would leave this part of Tooley St very unsafe for the large number of families living around City Hall, and the children who visit our area.'

Local London Assembly Member Valerie Shawcross said ‘Pedestrian crossings are there for the safety and convenience of people on foot but they make up half of the lights proposed for removal. Pensioners, those with disabilities and parents of young children stand to lose out under these plans. These crossings are obviously close to home for me and I'll be supporting the Riverside parents and indeed, any Londoners across the city who feel their local roads are about to get more dangerous."

Ends.

Notes

Further information can be obtained from Valerie Shawcross on 07855 245 471 or Ami Ibitson on 020 7983 6558.

The more, the absolute better!
Wednesday 7 July 2010 8.37pm
um...the idea is to speed up traffic
Zoe
Wednesday 7 July 2010 9.32pm
I think that's what we're objecting to!
Thursday 8 July 2010 6.52am
Speed is an emotive word, I think that Paul probably meant free the traffic from an unnecessary stop-start condition, therefore easing congestion; not to enable traffic to drive at an excessive speed along the road.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: