Removing traffic lights

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
urbanite Thursday 8 July 2010 10.32am
The voice of reason Tom
boroughpaul Thursday 8 July 2010 4.07pm
hear...hear
boroughpaul Thursday 8 July 2010 4.10pm
but the genius that is val shawcross obviously does not understand the difference between speeding the flow of traffic and turning tooley street into an F1 boy racer circuit
Tom Pepper Thursday 8 July 2010 4.41pm
urbanite wrote:
The voice of reason Tom

Thank you for your kind words urbanite, and you Paul, if I as a black cab driver can be thought to be speaking with the voice of reason, or typing words of reason, then there is probably some paragraph in the Licenced Taxi Driver code of conduct that says, "Hand your little green badge back to The Carriage Office immediately, we cannot have Joe Public acknowledging that there are drivers that speak with words of reason, you are supposed to be monosyllabic!"
Jonathan K Thursday 8 July 2010 8.29pm
Public transport, including black cabs, should indeed have everything done to smooth its progress (bus/taxi lanes, responsive traffic signalling) through the city. But what's the point of doing the same for other traffic if it's to the disbenefit of people trying to cross the A200 trying to get to the park/to work?
boroughpaul Thursday 8 July 2010 9.06pm
because public transport doesn't own the roads...it shares the roads. the issue is about speeding up the stop start flow of traffic by getting rid of some traffic lights...no brainer really
bluefish Thursday 8 July 2010 11.34pm
I think what I - perhaps quite naively - fail to understand is why wasn't this situation foreseen and planned for ages ago?

I've lived in the area for over 7 years. When I moved in, More London barely existed, the Hilton was still in planning stages, the Unicorn was breaking ground. Potters Fields had not been redeveloped and the Shard was barely a glimmer in a developer's eye. That's just Tooley Street - to say nothing of the changes on adjacent streets that feed traffic onto and through Tooley.

So, why was planning permission given for 2 very child-friendly sites, and a mix of commercial / residential developments that would pose immense traffic stress on a street which was never intended to have this pressure? The objectives seem at odds with each other.

If the crossings are removed, what then becomes the sensible and safe alternative?

Chris
Pops Friday 9 July 2010 3.34pm
It makes it a speedway for the cyclists which is a bad move, they dont take any notice of people crossing with a red light anyway.
Debrajoan Friday 9 July 2010 4.27pm
Pops wrote:
It makes it a speedway for the cyclists which is a bad move, they dont take any notice of people crossing with a red light anyway.

More words of reason.
Pops, are you sure that you are not Mr. Pepper's alter ego?
Pops Saturday 10 July 2010 3.11pm
Debrajoan wrote:
Pops wrote:

More words of reason.
Pops, are you sure that you are not Mr. Pepper's alter ego?

Certainly not. I know exactly what Tooley Street is like with cyclists at 8.30 in the morning, they think they have the right of way at a red or green unless they are colour blind.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions