The Cut - New Shops

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 5 July 2010 6.43pm
Anyone have any idea what's going on at the two shops being refurbished on The Cut? Formerly a kebab shop and convenience store...
Monday 5 July 2010 7.48pm
The owners of the block applied for planning permission to merge the shops into one larger unit.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 July 2010 11.57am
According to @thebikeshow on Twitter it's going to be a Pret a Manger

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 July 2010 12.04pm
And there I was hoping for a small Waitrose.
Monday 12 July 2010 12.37pm
Great - just what we need, another shop selling sandwiches. But, I guess it was expected and I guess Pret is a step up from a Fried Chicken shop that was there (rather than kebab?).

Apropos kebabs, has anybody else noticed how there always seems to be policemen shopping in the kebab shop on the Cut? Do they get free food there or a discount or do coppers just generally have a very bad diet as they have to eat on the move?
Monday 12 July 2010 5.31pm
nelson

I think it is the latter. we often have a pizza at Paradiso in the evening and most of Kennington police station turns up and parks on the pavement to get a kebab. My sons say they, the kebabs, are good.
Zoe
Monday 12 July 2010 6.40pm
It is a great kebab shop, it shows you should follow a copper if you want to find good take away.
Monday 12 July 2010 6.57pm
Coppers always got free takeaways when I was growing up in Cheshire. Don't know if that's done in London.

Everything seems to cater for the lunchtime work crowd. I wish they were more unique though.
Monday 12 July 2010 10.20pm
Thinking back to the 1970s The Cut has changed in terms of shops quite a lot and I guess this is part of the ongoing change all streets go through.

It would be nice to imagine the market stalls returning one day : you could buy fresh vegetables & salad from the stalls - but I guess The Cut is a little too narrow these days for market stalls.

I remember and lament the loss of Cooke's Pie & Mash Shop - interestingly some shops have stayed with the same use over the years. The Tote bookmakers used to be an independent bookies called A. Stallion (Arthur I think ) - and it made it onto That's Life once as a shop with a most appropriate name !
Tuesday 13 July 2010 7.15pm
Oh I miss the pie and mash there. I heard its going to be a starbucks, maybe a rumour?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: