Metro Central Heights

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 9 July 2010 2.07pm
Just been to view a flat in Metro Central Heights. First impressions pretty good. Nice and light, quite spacious, good views. Does anyone who lives there, or who has lived there, have any advice? Do you/did you like it? What are the good points and what are the bad points?
Cheers
Friday 9 July 2010 4.15pm
Hi,

I lived in Metro Central Heights for just under two years from 2007 to 2009 and enjoyed my time there, but it wasn't without its faults. My opinions for what they're worth....
Good points:
*Great location for getting anywhere in London by tube or bus.
*Awesome views from some of the higher up flats (dependent on which way you're facing).
*The gym, whilst small, is pretty well maintained.
*The concierge desk is very, very useful. I always found them to be really helpful and trustworthy signing for parcels etc. It beats having to cue up at a delivery office.
*Great security - I really felt safe in my flat throughout my time there.

Bad points:
*Woefully ineffcient storage heaters - combined with single glazing (or even secondary glazing), be prepared for a HUGE electric bill in the winter months.
*This might sound like a generalization, but there are a lot of foreign students living there and in *my experience* they didn't really respect their surroundings (esp. the communal areas like the pool and gym) as private renters/owners might. Of course, this could have just been a few 'bad apples'.
*No hope whatsoever of getting Sky HD (if you're that way inclined, as I am!)

Oh, and if you're renting avoid the agents Moving Space at all costs. They seem to deal with a lot of flats there and are complete crooks.

I hope that was of some use!
Saturday 10 July 2010 10.47am
I am due to be moving in to MCH this coming Monday, and went through the letting agents Moving Space- what have I got myself into?

I just wanted to clarify with a current or past resident whether guests are also able to use the car parking facilities for a day/overnight. It was suggested to me at the time of viewing the property this was the case but I am now doubtful.

If visitors cannot use the parking facilities is their any tactful way around this, or any other local parking facilities (on or off street) preferably at no or little charge that can be used?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Justin
Saturday 10 July 2010 4.21pm
I live in the vantage building of the MCH complex and have done for about two years. With the car parking space that came with your flat you are allowed to register only one car to use that space. Guests wont be able to park for along period of time. It seems that the concierge are fine with guest cars coming in for a short while for the purpose of unloading/loading. In order for the guests cars to be let in, you will have to let the concierge know the numberplate of the guests car in order for them to be let in the complex

When you move in, you might be able to get overnight parking for some of your guests for a couple of times,as youll be new so they seem less harsh with the rules. I did when i moved in, but found that the longer i lived here, the less likely the concierge were to let guests cars park for along time.

There are plenty of streets round the Rockingham Estate to leave cars. They are relatively safe and free.

I hope you enjoy living in MCH as much as i do.
Saturday 10 July 2010 6.55pm
Thanks for the reply.

Thats great to know, I am just going to have to hunt out the Rockingham Estate at some point in the week once I have moved in.

In terms of getting to know others, myself and my flatmate are brand new to the area and wont no hardly anybody in London. Is it easy to get to know residents or are there any tips of where is good and not so good to go in the local area in terms of pubs, clubs and so on? We are both University students going on our profesional placement years, but dont want to be stigmatised purely because we are students by other residents.
Monday 12 July 2010 12.51pm
justinfay - just make sure they give you an up to date inventory when you move in. I was never given one, and then when I moved out they tried to take about 600 off my deposit to pay for items that were never in the flat in the first place!

I got the money back in the end as it was protected by the TDS, but this took about 14 weeks. Also having seen a copy of the evidence Movingspace and the landlord provided them against me i wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them!
Monday 12 July 2010 5.58pm
I have lived in MCH for nigh on ten years now. If you are renting there are only horrible agents to deal with (and most of them ARE, alas, horrible, greedy and dead tricky, so be on the watch). It is a fantastic location, great for getting anywhere because the transportation links are so good. As long as it isnt YOU paying the service charges, which are astronomical - which we owner/occupiers have to pay - you should enjoy it.
Monday 12 July 2010 8.14pm
Thank you for both of your replies. Luckily the service charges are all part of my rent per week so I am not too sure how much it would have cost me otherwise.

I was wondering whether anyone knows about how the congestion charge works in MCH, as the cameras to record your number plate are just after the turning into MCH (after when you pull into that separate lane/junction to pull into the car park) and the cameras going towards the roundabout are after the turning coming out of MCH itself. Does that mean we luckily escape the congestion charge, not that I am going to using the car park that often, it would just be good for reference.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: