Metro Central Heights

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 29 March 2018 12.01am
I know what you mean Jules. It really IS a very.special.place
Thursday 29 March 2018 1.18pm
So sad that you will no longer be the doyenne of SE1 and nicking other people's chips at every SE1 social. As Connie said earlier, your parties were legendary!
Thursday 29 March 2018 8.48pm
Awww Juanita . YES those were the days! Alas the towers are slowly eroding the view. I know it's progress but never the less...
Sunday 1 April 2018 11.28am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Actually I sold privately...the agents were too keen to under-sell. I think the state of the building is a deterrent at the moment. And the management leaves a lot to be desired. Next year when they FINALLY do the exterior decorations will be more favourable IMHO.

It does need a lick of paint, I looked up the other day and in my mind I was putting MCH in the same light as Hannibal hse and the printing college as things that might not be there in a few years. MCH will look great again after a lick of paint but I wonder if the management co are being cheeky and seeing if anyone will offer to do it for them, or at least pay. Is that possible with private landlords? I know the council have been guilty of this in the past.

By the way, Perronet hse did not seem quite as out of place as MCH, which is ironic.
Saturday 7 April 2018 1.33pm
There is no management company now, it is run directly by the residents association. The problem is that under the prior management reserves were run down, so there is no money to pay for exterior work.

The residents association needs to build up the reserves to do the work, so now residents have been sent a bill for the exterior work which in my case is over 2k, which I simply can't pay straight away. I imagine I'm not the only one.
Saturday 7 April 2018 2.31pm
I find it extraordinary that there are no reserves. The service charges went up and up over the last three or four years...and the building got shabbier and shabbier...what we're they spending the money ON? I was not aware of any projects, or staff improvements, or indeed anything that would have made a hole in the reserves. The present on site manager has probably been there too long, and when Kinley Folk and Hayward took over the management of the building they were worse than useless. I think there is probably been some serious mismanagement of funds.
Monday 25 June 2018 9.07pm
I have recently had an offer accepted for a flat at MCH but did not realise that a listed building also imposed restrictions on double glazing.

I was told by the estate agent that there was a plan to install double glazing, but many people have not done so due to the costs involved.
The flat I am planning to buy has secondary glazing. I suffer from health conditions aggravated by extreme cold, so this is a very important factor for me

Could someone advise on
* Is there a plan for replacement of the windows?
* Any approximation on costs would be helpful
* How well insulated are the buildings?
* Does secondary glazing help and is there any issue with condensation?
* Has anyone installed under-floor heating and how effective has that been?
Tuesday 26 June 2018 4.19pm
I viewed a few places in MCH before going elsewhere.

Window replacement is proceeding, but I got the costs estimated and for the flat I wanted (with lots of windows) looked to be approx 30k, you pay that, not the service charge.

Otherwise it's solid concrete so not very good insulation, and heating is electric so very expensive to run.
Tuesday 26 June 2018 9.59pm
Thank you for sharing your experience. I will factor that into other information on whether its worth progressing or not.
Wednesday 27 June 2018 12.52pm
Hi,

I live there

* Is there a plan for replacement of the windows?

Full external redecoration of the building is currently underway, that does not include windows ( why would the service charge pay for you to upgrade your flat ), you can whilst the scaffolding is up have them replaced. I have lived there on and off for 15 years with single glazing, if you are younger then noise will not bother you because you are out all the time, if you are older then yes. But this is London and there is noise everywhere.

* Any approximation on costs would be helpful

* How well insulated are the buildings?

The higher up you are you gain the heat from the flats below, in winter with single glazing yes it can be cold
* Does secondary glazing help and is there any issue with condensation?

Secondary glazing will but it's ugly and cuts down on your floorspace which is premium in a flat. Condensation is an issue if you have single glazing but my flat is on the 15th floor and with the windows slightly ajar I've never had an issue, some people simply by a humidifier.

* Has anyone installed under-floor heating and how effective has that been?

I know someone on my floor has and it works like any other underfloor heating, the most efficient way though to heat these flats as they are on elec is with storage heaters, ie nighttime elec rates dispersed during the day.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network