The Crown Pub - Blackfriars - World Cup

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 12 July 2010 8.14am
Our local pub on Blackfriars Road (The Crown)during the World Cup had a sign saying "no football tops" posted outside on the window.
My brother in law went in for a drink on the day of the 3pm kick off between England V Slovenia and USA playing Algeria playing. Both games were screened at the same time with the USA game being screened at the back of the room.

Whilst there were 2 England supporters that managed to slip through the net with england tops on, To my brother in laws amazement the back of the pub had USA fans drapped in flags and hats having a right old good time.

Just wondering if the Football shirt thing was in place to stop local neighbours dropping in for a beer (as all the local office boys would be suited and booted). Maybe Big Phil could let us know the reasoning here?

Regards,

Windmill Walker
Monday 12 July 2010 3.33pm
no worries there!
just as any pub/bar/restaurant/cafe/shop with a tv showed world cup matches, so did we.

we thought it best to waive the rules during the world cup and didnt bother with the no football top rule.

we had loads of bookings from groups for other countries during the tournement and thats why you would have seen the usa expat society out in force for that particular match.

we had a great time during the world cup and hope that everyone else did as well.

cheers
phil
Monday 12 July 2010 5.18pm
Since it was gentrified about six years ago, the Crown never opened at weekends.

Big Phil (no relation) and his Missus have changed that. That doesn't seem to be the actions of someone who's only interested in the office crowd, does it?

I'm a local and have never had anything other than a great welcome in the Crown. Put your paranoia (and any chavvy football shirts) aside, Windmill, and give the place a try.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 7.56am
Thanks for replying Big Phil, The football shirt note should of been taken down then and no message would of been posted on this topic.

It does however go to show that Rambling Phil (and any chavvy football shirts)comment is why i was posting on here in the first place. Maybe a nice Cricket or Rugby shirt is more your class Rambling Phil.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 9.23am
Is it just me, but I have read windmill walker's posts a few times and I can't seem to work out what point he/she is trying to make.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 9.37am
it's just you. i can understand him/her quite clearly.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 10.03am
As a gentleman, I would no more wear sports gear when I'm not undertaking a sporting activity than I would wear tweed on a football pitch.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 3.57pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
As a gentleman, I would no more wear sports gear when I'm not undertaking a sporting activity than I would wear tweed on a football pitch.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 4.11pm
Windmill Walker wrote:
Rambling Phil wrote:

Football or any other sports tops are worn in support of a team that you love or in this case patriotically follow and have pride for.

Maybe Big Phil can get you a lovely Cashmere sweater with the Pub logo on it.

Also being a local then you can give me a bit of history of your years in the area? I remember Crown open on weekends with locals in attendance having a good time before Computer Centre and other local offices popped up and demanded Fine Dinning and Pimms.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 4.45pm
While I don't normally wear cashmere - and much as I like both Phil and the Crown - like anyone else, Phil would need to pay me to wear his advertising.

I am a free man, not a hoarding or cattle, branded to show to which flock I belong.

The Crown is a couple of minutes walk from where I have lived for some time and intend to continue to live for the foreseeable future. Ergo I am a local.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been here long enough to remember when the Crown was gentrified. Before that, it was a spit and sawdust Websters pub, which opened at the weekends.

You really should try the Crown. It's not as stuck up as you seem to think it is (or, indeed, as I am). There's a choice of ales and lagers. There are wines. Since students go there, I imagine there might even be some alcopops. The food, while good and competitively priced is definitely not fine dining (no offence, Big Phil).

BTW Your love for your club is unrequited. Unless your club is the Continuity Wimbledon, your club is a business which cares nothing for you, only your money, and employs foppish overpaid mercenaries to make profits for big businessmen.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: