Supermarkets near Elephant & Castle?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 13 July 2010 8.48am
Hi there,

I'm moving to London two weeks tomorrow (from Leeds) - really excited! Moving to a quiet little street just down from Elephant and Castle tube station.

I've googled around and apparently there's a Morrisons just down the road a bit on Walworth Road - only problem is that Google Streetview can't seem to locate it (although it's possible it was built since Google took their photos I guess).

Can anybody let me know where the nearest decent-sized supermarkets are in proximity to E&C tube station?

Also, any tips about the area in general would be really useful.

Thanks, and hope this is the right place for this question...

Matt
Tuesday 13 July 2010 9.07am
There's a reasonably sized Tesco in the shopping centre itself. That shop is legenday enough to have its own thread here though (can be found easily through the site's search engine).

There are huge supermarkets just down the Old Kent Road - Asda, Tesco etc. Loads of buses go directly there.

It's traditional in a thread on supermarkets to express the hope that (or enquire whether or report a rumour that) Waitrose is about to open a branch nearby ;)

Good luck with your move!
Tuesday 13 July 2010 9.25am
mattpointblank wrote:
I've googled around and apparently there's a Morrisons just down the road a bit on Walworth Road - only problem is that Google Streetview can't seem to locate it (although it's possible it was built since Google took their photos I guess).
Matt

It was a Somerfield when the Streetview pic was taken.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 11.17am
Many locals use the market in East St open Tuesday - Sunday, the supermarkets are less than super.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 12.29pm
Neil wrote:
There are huge supermarkets just down the Old Kent Road - Asda, Tesco etc. Loads of buses go directly there.
It's traditional in a thread on supermarkets to express the hope that (or enquire whether or report a rumour that) Waitrose is about to open a branch nearby ;)

Waitrose at Russell Square is just as easy to get to by bus.

There's also M&S Food at the Blue Fin Building (Southwark Street) if you're that way inclined, or an M&S on Walworth Road.

Out of the various local Tesco stores around, I find the one on Kennington Lane the nicest shopping experience. Spacious and airy, with polite staff and usually no queues. Tesco in the Shopping Centre is the opposite, and I always try to avoid it.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 6.05pm
Morrisons is a vast improvement on the old Somerfields. Much cleaner and better stocked. It also has wetfish and butchery counters. Since it opened I have more or less stopped going to ASDA - nothing wrong with them except I prefer a smaller shop. Morrisons also stocks some old-fashioned stuff - brand names that have almost disappeared and Scottish and Irish brands. The only down side is that you need to check your receipts carefully as their 'two fors' and other special deals don't always show at the till.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 7.21pm
beverly wrote:
Irish brands

Will have to check out in case there is a more local source for my Kimberley biscuit and red lemonade fixes!
Tuesday 13 July 2010 8.48pm
Good luck with the move Neil.
I agree that Morrisons is good and local. The E&C Tesco has limited range and is often v busy. I tend to use Asda on OKR rather than the OKR Tesco - but maybe that's just me :-)
I'd also recommend exploring a couple of the local independent stores such as the Oli Food Centre at 346 Walworth Rd (near Peacocks and Fitness First).
Friday 16 July 2010 10.37pm
Neil wrote:
beverly wrote:
Irish brands

Will have to check out in case there is a more local source for my Kimberley biscuit and red lemonade fixes!

99p Stores at Elephant usually has Kimberleys
Saturday 17 July 2010 9.25am
mogoot wrote:
Neil wrote:

Waitrose at Russell Square is just as easy to get to by bus.

Waitrose at Whitecross St. The Barbican, EC1 is geographically half the distance from The Elephant than the one at Russell Sq.
Naturally your chosen method of transportation would be a deciding factor.
Taking a bus with a load of shopping bags would not appeal to me, plus having not been on a bus for 25 years I have no idea which routes go from The Elephant to Finsbury Sq. (5 minutes walk from Whitecross St.), any more than I'd know which ones go to Russell Sq.
My wife uses Tesco at Surrey Quays, always plenty of parking space, plus she takes my black cab so that she can use the bus lane in Jamaica Road and be there in 4 or 5 minutes.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: