Keeping fit at 64

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 10.29am
I remember a thread sometime last year where someone was seeking exercise classes for the over-sixties held in the evening or weekends. I wonder if they found anything? I'm fat, unfit and almost 64 - but I'm still in fulltime work and will be until at least 65, perhaps longer. Southwark Council's excellent "Silver" offer for gym use and classes work on the assumption that to be over sixty means to be free during the day. The only senior classes at the Columbo Centre are also during the day.

Failing that has any one any ideas about way of getting fit if you haven't done much exercise since the Beatles first sang "When I'm 64..."
TAK
Tuesday 13 July 2010 11.42am
I think I recently read something about outdoor gyms and even seen one somewhere. Unfortunately I can't quite piece it all together at the moment, but maybe someone else can. Basically, Imagine a 'playground' aka exercise machines for adults in a park or an estate. IOt should be free too and presumably you can use it during daylight hours.

Found this on the web - although located in Camden:
http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/leisure/sports-and-activities/outdoor-gyms.en
TAK
Tuesday 13 July 2010 11.44am
More googling revealed an article in the sun:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article744817.ece
Tuesday 13 July 2010 11.52am
There's one in Mint Street Park

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 4.35pm
If your balance is ok you could get a cheap mini stepper like this one. Don't go so fast that you couldn't hold a conversation, but go nearly that fast. Half an hour or more a day and you'll lose fat, help you heart and generally feel a lot fitter.
Thursday 15 July 2010 11.07am
Thanks for the suggestions, neighbours. I think I'm a bit embarrassed about the open air gym, but if I can persuade someone to join me,I might give it whirl. The mini stepper looks more my style.
TAK
Thursday 15 July 2010 11.09am
Joanna Clark wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, neighbours. I think I'm a bit embarrassed about the open air gym, but if I can persuade someone to join me,I might give it whirl. The mini stepper looks more my style.

Maybe you can even found an se1forum open air gym group / buddy on here.....
Thursday 15 July 2010 3.01pm
Walking is a fabulous way to kick start your fitness without overdoing it/injuring yourself. I am a local personal trainer, and in my regular reading of industry press, I happened upon a great, easy to follow power walking program in this month's Health and Fitness magazine. Give me a shout if you'd like me to send it on to you. Good luck and I admire your dedication to keep fit at 64 :-)

www.fitns.co.uk
nikki@fitns.co.uk

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: