Clinical Waste Bin - Trinity Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 14 July 2010 9.59am
In the last couple of weeks two clinical waste bins appeared at the end of Trinity Street. These have now been replaced by one large bin.

It blocks the pavement, is unsightly, is unlocked and contains who knows what. Does anyone know if they need permission to site one of these on the street? There are no medical premises on Trinity Street so I can only assume it belongs to the dentist on Borough High Street.

I have reported it to the council but they don't seem too interested.

Wednesday 14 July 2010 11.02pm
According to a document (page 58) on the Department of Health website, and assuming the document is talking about the same type of waste, it should be locked, along with a number of other regulations.

That's just a result of a Google search - I'm not in medicine, so don't take this as gospel.

Other council websites seem to direct Clinical Waste issues to that council's Primary Care Trust, so in this case you would need Southwark PCT.
Thursday 15 July 2010 3.52pm
Blimey. Have a look at what the bin's owner recommends it should contain!
Thursday 15 July 2010 4.23pm
Thanks for that Boss St Bloke. Scary stuff - by their own definition this waste presents a hazard to health.

I have sent a note to Southwark PCT. If I don't get a promopt response I guess I can take this up with my local Councillors.
Saturday 17 July 2010 3.46pm
By coincidence I just went on my mandatory infection control training with a nearby PCT. At least its not orange as then it could contain organs or amputated body parts!

Seriously though, there are very strict guidelines about clinical waste including padlocking the bin - the care quality commision is charged with overseeing this should the PCT ignore you - get in quick before it is abolished as 'un-necessary beauracracy' in the soon to be liberated NHS...
Monday 19 July 2010 1.10pm
I have received a response from LB Southwark:

Quote:
The area has been visited and they have been advised to keep the bin locked.
In an ideal world all commercial and residential properties would have a secure waste area, which can be accessed by a refuse vehicle.

Looking at the area, removal of the bin and replacing it with a bag collection would not be an improvement.

There are a number of other bins on the highway in the vicinity we would have to also take action against these as well.

We will keep an eye on the area as best as possible if the situation deteriorates we will take the appropriate action.

Martin Talbot, Team Leader
Environmental Enforcement

The other bins he refers to are 3 small wheelie bins, provided by the council, for resident's waste. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Given that this hazardous bin doesn't even belong to a property on Trinity Street I dont see why we should have to tolerate it. Or am I being unreasonable?
Monday 19 July 2010 1.39pm
Why don't you suggest to them that the Clinical Waste Bin be sited in Kings Place where the bins of that doctors surgey by the police station must be kept I imagine. I assume doctors have clinical waste. Then whoever empties clinical bins would only have to make one stop and all bins would be out of sight and safer. And it's only about 30yards from the dentist. How much clinical waste can a dentist generate anyway? Surely they can't fill a bin that size in a week.
Monday 19 July 2010 1.42pm
phoney wrote:
Why don't you suggest to them that the Clinical Waste Bin be sited in Kings Place where the bins of that doctors surgey by the police station must be kept I imagine.

Great idea thank you. I will.
Tuesday 20 July 2010 3.12pm
The saga continues as I now have a response from the dentist (after I contacted Southwark PCT - thanks mogoot).

Quote:
Thank you for your email and to let us know about your concerns about our clinical bin on Trinity Street. While I agree it is not a beautiful thing to look at it is necessary to have it to contain our clinical waste which is packed in special bags in best way. We follow the guidelines for where and how clinical waste must be stored and by these guidelines we can have clinical waste stored outside the premises. We put just special bags into the bin and the rest of clinical waste which is dangerous to environments is kept inside the premises and collects with another company.
The reasons we have the lockable bin outside are: The company which collects only clinical waste from hospitals and clinics asked for it to be able to have access to the bin even if the clinic is closed; As we produce more waste due to size of clinic we need bigger bin and last thing because we have done changes inside the premises we have lack of space. The bin is big I agree but it is still on my land as I have the basement which is bigger than the ground-floor building and people with pushchair can still pass the bin easily as I watched one did that. This bin we have got from the company has problem with the lock and I have called the company twice since we received that to swap it and they have promised to do that as soon as possible this week.

I hope I could answer all your questions and please do not hesitate to contact me if still there are some quarries. As a good gesture and of course because you are one of our neighbors I would like to invite you for a view of our new updated premises and to have a free examination and scale and polish with one of our dentists. If interested please call us on 02074073883 and you can make an appointment with myself.

Best regards

Farydon Mirzai DDS
Principal
Borough Dental Care
305-307 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1JH
Tel.02074073883

Perhaps I should just let it go although I am intregued how the conflicting rights of the landowner and obstruction of a "highway maintained at the public expenses" are resolved. I believe that the Department of Transport recommend 2000m clearance whilst London Borough of Southwark use the minimum measure of 1250mm. I might measure and see if that applies here.
Wednesday 21 July 2010 7.40am
As ever the council are partly to blame here too.

Whenever palnning consent is given for anything these days it seems that (understandably) the developer wants to load as much on their site as possible, leaving as little space as possible for rubbish storage, and the council seems to go along with it in the hope that this will lead to ever decreasing amounts of waste.

It is obviious to anyone who lives almost anywhere in the UK these days that this is prevealent everwhere, and not just a Southwark problem, with bins of all shapes and forms taking up almost permanaent residency on many of our streets.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: