One Westminster Bridge - What exactly is that thing?!?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 31 March 2004 2.07pm
Hi everyone!
Just posting to request some information on that derelict lump of concrete south of Westminster Bridge (Near to Waterloo International). I've run a few searches through Google (That's how I found this forum) but all I've been able to find out is the name of the thing!

If someone could please tell me exactly what it is (Other than a "white" elephant) and why on earth it's been allowed to stand there for so long, I'd be greatful. I have heard that the entire building was computer controlled or something?

Also, if you could please post some links etc. to useful resources, I'd be very greatful again!

Thanks for all of your help! :-)
>> Death <<

Wednesday 31 March 2004 2.12pm
A couple of previous threads on the topic:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/12356

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/706

The building was an annexe to County Hall when the GLC was based there.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 31 March 2004 4.40pm
I normally welcome new posters but choosing Death as a moniker is just a tad off-putting.

Should we expect your friends Pestilence, Famine and War to start posting shortly? Will you be requiring grazing rights for your pale horse and the steeds of your colleagues in Jubilee Gardens?
Wednesday 31 March 2004 4.52pm
The Island Block extension was designed with a pioneering computer controlled set of exterior sunblinds, which extended out from each layer of the building. The mechanism of the blinds was not terribly reliable. IIRC they were a very 1970s shade of orange.

There are some drawings and photos in the Survey of London's "Monograph 17" on County Hall published in 1991, which should be held by major reference libraies.

I think if you use this link to buy it, the site editor of SE1 gets commission!

However, it appears to be cheaper from English Heritage

Post edited (31 Mar 04 17:52)
Wednesday 31 March 2004 5.07pm

Groovy.

Did this get used as a set (external only) in that naff UK sci-fi/vampire series Ultraviolet?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: