News for posh people

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 31 March 2004 5.03pm
Those of you lucky to live in one of the nice Georgian houses on Trinity street (and squares) might be interested in this piece of relatively unsurprising news.

I was walking past that closed pub on the corner with Swan Street (the one with the green hoardings) and enquired of the developer-ey looking bloke standing inside with a builder as to what was to happen. It will be renovated and turned into.... flats.

Post edited (31 Mar 04 18:03)
Wednesday 31 March 2004 10.52pm
Not surprising, Redbus - everything is being turned into flats if it has the potential!!!!

Jenny
Thursday 1 April 2004 6.18am
That's a real shame redbus. The Trinity Arms was an excellent pub and I doubt we'll see its like again in SE1.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 1 April 2004 8.10am
Talking of yuppy flats, I was passing a new development in Lant Street this morning and saw that on their hoarding they state that they are selling "ultimately private apartments". Is this a) a crime against good english, b) a crime against community? And c) what does it mean?

And I too lament the passing of The Trinity. My local for many a late moon. Great mix of people in there from posties to chauffeurs and posh people with lap dogs and students and .............all of human life. And you're right Ivan, there aren't too many like that now.

stick yer frothy lager.......
Thursday 1 April 2004 8.18am
I'll never forget Bill the landlord (who, in our house, had a reputation for being a Transylvanian vampyr and who's name had to be pronounced "Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil", whilst screwing up face into wise-old-man-of-the-village-telling-you-where-not-to-go-on-a-dark-night-if-you-valued-your-neck), and the almost-certainly-certifiable-but-very-good jazz drummer who used to play odd evenings.

When I first moved to New York, it was so good to find a decent local. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 1 April 2004 11.05am
Mr Bridger - I too have pondered the meaning of that 'ultimately private' phrase. Given the extensive use of glass and balconies that are overlooked by dozens of existing neighbours, it seems a remarkable claim. Its another of those vacous headline statements so beloved of estate agents. I imagine they dream them up over a glass or two of Blue Nun and a Kraft slice and no doubt wet themselves laughing at believing they've pulled another fast one over the gullible house buying public.
Thursday 1 April 2004 12.28pm
I think 'ultimately private', means that neighbours are able to stare through the huge expanse of the living room windows to admire the contemporary urban living inside, but that the bathroom will have a timber faced door
Thursday 1 April 2004 12.43pm
I was always intrigued by 'flexible lifestyle apartments' - I suppose that meant you either lived in them or you didn't.
Thursday 1 April 2004 12.52pm
Or they were strictly for contortionists.
Thursday 1 April 2004 1.47pm
maybe "ultimately private" means that once the owners have moved in someone nails the doors shut. Here's hoping anyway.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: