Carbuncles in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 July 2010 10.00pm
Building Design magazine [BD] already has two recent erections in SE1 on the 2010 shortlist for the hotly contested Carbuncle Cup:

- Strata Tower

- Westminster Bridge Park Plaza Hotel, London

Nominations close at midnight tonight:

Nominate your carbuncle

My vote is definitely for the Park Plaza - I remember urging caution to all those folk who thought the former island block on the site was an eyesore that should be torn down asap.
Thursday 22 July 2010 7.56am
I see that BD have used a pic of the Park Plaza lifted from this very website...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
TAK
Thursday 22 July 2010 1.05pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
My vote is definitely for the Park Plaza - I remember urging caution to all those folk who thought the former island block on the site was an eyesore that should be torn down asap.

Park Plaza is pretty bad. It completely cuts out the vista and is of too substantial massing acting like a barrier.

The biggest shame however I find it's relationship or more precisely lack of it with it's surroundings.
There's only deliveries at ground floor, even the hotel entrance immediately sends you up to the upper floor and some attempt with a cafe one one side I predict will never work. Who would want to sit in that space?
Shame there is no through route on axis with road and bridge - or even an entire through atrium on axis - then at least it wouldn't feel as such a stumbling block in the streetscape one has got to hike around this no-mans land surrounded by traffic. Not a nice experience at all.

I'd give it my vote as town city planning / master planning carbuncle disaster without hesitation.
However, the architecture of the building itself doesn't really bother me too much apart from the dead ground floor and the buildings heavy massing. It's mainly just the location / setting that's truly horrendous I like to think.

In terms of purely architectural issues I find other nominees on the list more deserving.
Thursday 22 July 2010 11.28pm
Only the Strata tower has made it to the final shortlist of six
Thursday 12 August 2010 8.06pm
Strata has won the Carbuncle Cup!

Building Design article
(will probably be subscription only in day or two)

Guardian news story

Londonist story

How long before the letting agents describe it as "award-winning" :)
Thursday 12 August 2010 9.05pm
Good! It's a bit easier to look at the ugly thing when you know it's recognised as such. Poor Elephant though. Famous for being an utter dump for so many years only to be dominated by such a nasty joke. I really hope they get the rest right.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network