Would you like to join a Borough book group?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 July 2010 3.40pm
For eighteen months, I have been running a democratic book group. We meet roughly every six weeks in the Kings Arms on Newcomen Street (just off Borough High Street).

We have a core of members but would like to extend this to make sure that a good handful of people come along to any meeting - all the better for discussing books.

At each meeting, anyone can suggest a book for next time, we pick a date and then I email everyone with the info. Those who fancy that title read it and come along. Then the process begins again. Thus, you're not obliged to come to every meeting and no one forces you to read!

It's a lively group of people who live and/or work in Borough, enjoy reading all sorts of books and giggle at the classic cheesy 80 ballads the Kings Arms sometimes plays.

If you're interested, email me and I'll send you details of the next meeting.

Thanks,
Adam

asmith [at] gbp.co.uk
Thursday 29 July 2010 5.08pm
Could you give us an idea of the sorts of books you have been reading? Current best-sellers? Classics? Orange Prize-winners?
Thursday 29 July 2010 7.14pm
We have our Se1 Book Club (see the Socials section) so we really dont need this. We meet at the Britannia in Kipling Street on the first Weds. of the month. This is a nice idea but I think we are well served enough!
Friday 30 July 2010 12.03am
Surely the more book clubs the merrier?
Actually I've always shied away from book groups as my concentration is limited (oh look, a squirrel!)and I'd feel bad about not finishing a book.
Friday 30 July 2010 8.30am
Books are useless! I only ever read one book, "To Kill A Mockingbird" and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the colour of his skin... but what good does that do me?
Homer Simpson
Friday 30 July 2010 8.31am
:-)
Friday 30 July 2010 8.48am
I agree with Auntie Pat, the more Book Clubs the better in the area, though nothing can compare with the Se1 Book Club...we don't take ourselves (too) seriously and we don't have cheesy Ballads at The Brittania to distract our focus from the wine, food, conversation and er..books! Why not come along and see for yourselves!
Friday 30 July 2010 9.32am
Can't agree more - the more the merrier!
Friday 30 July 2010 9.50am
Ladies, when was it the last time we were talking about the book?! ;))
But why not meeting up and we can go to both book clubs.

AdamES, what doe you mean under the word democratic book club, do you vote? In that case I have to join you guys we Swissies love to vote.
Friday 30 July 2010 11.31am
Hi all,

I didn't mean to advertise my group here to compete with the SE1 group. I just set mine up with friends and friends of friends but since some have moved away we'd just like to make sure we've got enough to keep it going. The thing about books is, there's no limit to the number of groups possible. I'm sure there are lots of groups meeting in Borough that we don't know about.

My group meets on Mondays and is roughly every 5 or 6 weeks.

I meant 'democratic' in a very loose way: we don't vote for books, but if someone has a suggestion we'll probably go with it. There's not a rule about taking turns strictly to choose books. Swiss readers are more than welcome! (As long as they bring chocolate.)

Indicative reads:
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey
A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré
The Magus by John Fowles
Crash by JG Ballard

If you'd like to be kept in the loop, PM or email me and I'll add you to our list and let you know the date for the next meeting.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: