Ice cream vans

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 30 July 2010 10.01am
So, ice cream vans are to be banned from some of the streets...

ice cream vans banned from some streets in SE1

Does any one know if there are rules on ice cream vans coming onto estates with their incredibly loud jingles and running engines while they wait for customers?

Friday 30 July 2010 10.07am

we do have one of these vans here every day at five-ish the jingle is for around 15-30 seconds and after 5 minutes (this would be long) he is gone.
I prefere these guys sell ice then waiting to get money from the state. At least they have a job.

Take it with a twinkle in the eye I think of your childhood. I think it is sweet and there is much more polution of other cars driving like mad up and down which is worse then the ice van once a day.

Have a good day.
Friday 30 July 2010 10.12am
I'm with you Sidi. They remind me of childhood. Especailly, when my newphew is around he loves them.
Friday 30 July 2010 10.47am
So what is going to happen to the people that park their vans in the banned area? I mean they fine them already but they just see it as their parking fee.

I'm just glad non of the vans sell real ice-cream or I'd be even fatter than I am now. The idea of eating sweetened vegetable fat repels me.
Friday 30 July 2010 11.11am
Wish they would ban the one on Tooley Street just by the London Dungeon.

You have to take your life in your hands when you have to walk in the road to get passed the van and the annoying queue.

Sorry, not thinking of my childhood just hope my adulthood isn't going to come to a grinding halt by being hit by a car or cyclist!!
Friday 30 July 2010 1.40pm
I work for the london dungeon (amongst other things) and you're right, Becki. I'm going to mention the queue later to them. It's always been annoying but recently they've employed security men who's job I assume is to control the queue. It's not really happening. The worst ones are the groups that have just left that just stand around in the middle of the pavement. These are usually school groups with the teachers the worst at it. It just seems stupid to be paying security and the problem is still there.
The ice cream van is in the new zone so goodbye to that (and free 'ice creams' for the dungeon staff...)
Friday 30 July 2010 5.15pm
Can we petition to get rid of the illegal nut sellers on tower bridge too? they block the brigde which i have to cross on almost a daily basis - and its bad at the moment because they have shut one side.

Ive seen them legging it away from the police before and one has hidden next to me when I was using the recyling point on tooley street! Also i think their whole scheme is run by gangs.

To end this post on a positive - I love the sound of an icecream van going past!

Have a good weekend
Friday 30 July 2010 6.47pm
nobody seems to have told the ice cream sellers its illegal,as there was one van at bankend till 6.30pm.The vans were holded up in Porter street from midday.
Saturday 31 July 2010 12.10am
At a recent family gathering my forty-something cousin heard an ice cream van (which must have been half a mile off), yelled ICE CREAM MAN!! and ran off to get some in spite of the fact that we were all about to sit down for lunch. Some people never grow up; mind you he did get me a 99!
Saturday 31 July 2010 1.02am
nigel wrote:
nobody seems to have told the ice cream sellers its illegal,as there was one van at bankend till 6.30pm.The vans were holded up in Porter street from midday.

And they will be there for ever more, and why not?
The council/government/whoever, can make laws until the cows come home, what they forget is that the laws that they make are as much use as tits on a bull, (if you'll pardon the vernacular), without that magic ingredient, ENFORCEMENT!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: