Restaurants/'doggie-bags'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 5 August 2010 4.47pm
Hi Mac
I'm the PR for the hotel. First, thank you for coming to try the restuarant. I'm glad you liked it. I'm sorry we weren't able to accommodate your request for a doggy bag, but I would like you know that we are carefully considering the situation and are researching options for providing packaging and food handling instructions. We too think it's a waste to discard the unfinished food that a guest would like to take home and hopefully we will be able to offer a solution soon.
Thursday 5 August 2010 7.04pm
How ridiculous!

We all cook and eat our own food and leftovers at home. Surely if we are able to distinguish between edible and inedible food that we've cooked ourselves then we will be able to manage to do the same with restaurant food? What is the difference between leftovers from meals that I've cooked and leftovers from a restaurant? Unless this is because you, the restaurant, are feeding me food that isn't freshly cooked?

I've been happily taking home doggie bags for many years (don't usually manage to finish my mains) and up to now I have managed to never poison myself. Ever. All on my own.

We are all adults, not children, and I for one am happy to take responsibility for my own actions.
Friday 6 August 2010 12.19am
What a load of cobblers. PC gone mad in a PC world.

I went to Frankie & Benny's in SE16 last Saturday. They quiet happily supplied a plastic box for our excess food.

"but I would like you know (sic) that we are carefully considering the situation and are researching options for providing packaging and food handling instructions"

Cobblers. My research is over - I will give your place a miss.
Friday 6 August 2010 6.49am
I'm with boroughpaul on the explanation they simply couldn't be bovvered.

As others have stated, doggie bags are hardly a new idea, regardless of how new the restaurant is - it's on both sides of the Atlantic, from the informal curry house to very high end restaurants.

One would have thought that anyone experienced in hospitality and customer service would have a policy on this would come equipped with a "policy" well before even the opening night!

Indeed, the restaurant (and chef) should have been flattered that mac liked the meal so much as to want to take part of it away!
Friday 6 August 2010 1.24pm
This thread has inspired me to open a new type of concept restaurant to accomodate all you doggie bag wannabes - i'm calling it a takeaway
Friday 6 August 2010 6.38pm
I used to think all the health and safety stories were urban myths. Then my partner used to work in the archduke. Someone ordered walnut slice for their dessert and then 'remembered' they had a severe nut allergy. They sued the restaurant as it did not mention that there were nuts in the walnut slice. The advice was to settle out of court! Not for an enormous sum but low four figures.

Restaurants are up against people like this - pretending to be normal everyday members of the public. Usually - health and safety reasons are cited to mean fear of litigation. Bizarre behaviour by a business usually is due to someone having their fingers burned by someone like the above.
Saturday 7 August 2010 12.09pm
Sadly JimG I think you are probably right.......large corporations frequently fall prey to the H&S consultant who has been brought in to 'consult' after an incident. They frequently take an approach that says we must remove risk, which as we all know is virtually impossible. As a result you come up against bizarre policies and procedures...the classic is you cannot have your burger cooked anything less than medium. Came across that the other day and was told it was the 'law' although amusingly it came out pink in the middle just how I liek it and delicious it was too!
Saturday 7 August 2010 5.33pm
ahhh don't get me started on "how would you like your burger?"... just to the medium side of steak tartare will do nicely!! even so-called gourmet burger restaurants overcook oblivious to individual taste
Saturday 7 August 2010 5.42pm
I want to give a big mention to Fish and Chips. The best doggie bag ever. Got us through the War and I have never heard of anyone dying from it.

In fact, the more you think about it - if everyone followed the PC correct Park Plaza model there would be no Chinese takeaways, no hotdogs in the park, no ice cream from the van (Flake with that sir?) no toffee apples and no candy floss at the fair, etc.

Cobblers.
Monday 9 August 2010 4.35pm
JimG - can I just get this right in my mind, someone with a nut allergy ordered a "Walnut" Slice without thinking it had nuts, in particular of the walnut variety, in it ?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network