Council tax horror stories

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 2 August 2010 11.03pm
Anyone else been threatened with court action or indeed taken to 'court' for council tax they had already paid or didn't owe?

It's clear that cost/corner cutting by outsourced Council tax collectors is leading to a number of false positives - people summonsed to court for tax they don't owe.

If you have to go to court after an unjustified summons you can claim expenses and any associated costs. Even dealing with unjustified threating letters entails a cost in time and worry.

Some councils (Sheffield) have ditched outsourcing companies that don't measure up. However we all know the relationship between Southwark and its contractors can get a bit... cosy. All they seem to care about is revenue, not fairness or courtesy.

Southwark's behaviour over parking tickets are IMHO tantamount to banditry. However there's an independent appeals service to go to after the inevitable stacked odds of Southwark's own appeal system.

The only way to make things better is to incentivise good behaviour... and the only way to do that is to expose the council and their contractors to the hidden costs of sloppy administration.

By taking legal action to recover them.

If there are enough takers the aim would be to get a solicitor to take on a case on a 'no-win-no-fee' basis. If not I might just do it myself. I'm fed up of the hubris of the council and its operators.

Anyone got any good stories....?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: