Stephen Humphrey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 August 2010 11.32am
I undestand Stephen Humprey has been replaced at the Local Studies Library
Borough High Street. Stephen is regarded in high esteem by countless people,he was more of a friend than the Archivist . He was forever polite and helpfull .He would undertake all matters of research for you no matter how busy he was . His knowledge of SE1 matters was amazing , He is truly a walking encyclopedia . I would echo John Beasley's comments 'Stephen Humprey knows more about SE1 than any other being on the planet" Not suprising ,as Stephen is Borough born and bred and has lived in SE1 all his life He will be sorely missed by many. I also learn of some other very sad news ,Mary Boast who was Stephen Humprey's predecesser at Local Studies has recently passed away. She was much in the same mould as Mr Humprey
Richard Wale
Wednesday 4 August 2010 7.04pm
Has Stephen actually gone then? I read in the News a few weeks back that it was on the cards but nothing more than that. Where did you find out?
Wednesday 4 August 2010 9.18pm
Hi Gavin I visited the Local History Libary on Monday. I noticed at once that Stepen Humprey was absent., i made equiries and was informed that he no longer worked there. Coincidently quite by chance i saw Stephen in the Newington Causeway on Wednesday. He seemed quite dismayed . I quite understand his feelings, he was absolutely dedicatated to that job. He had been in the Libary so long i believe 30 years or so. We will miss him.thats for sure . Best regards Rich
Thursday 5 August 2010 7.19am
Just shows how much the cretins in charge know how much interest we all have in the history of southwark..what happened? did he reach the dreaded retirement age...
Thursday 5 August 2010 7.49am
The place won't be the same without him. Thanks for the info Rich.
Thursday 5 August 2010 12.05pm
This is terrible news. Stephen Humphrey was always so helpful, interested and patient every time I was in the Local Studies Library. Half of my research would have never happened without his knowledge of what is in the Southwark Collection.

When the news says 'replaced', does anyone know what this means?

I wish him well. I'm sure he's devastated to no longer be in the place he dedicated such a long part of his life too.
Thursday 5 August 2010 3.26pm
the letter in the Southwark News a few weeks back seemed to suggest that Southwark had reduced the role to a part-time one and/or a change of duties. Lots of people wrote in saying it shouldn't happen etc but there was nothing more in there. However, a quick Google search found this on the South London Press website:
Monday 9 August 2010 8.59am
I have joined SLAS (Southwark and Lambeth Archaeological Society) through which I have been on a couple of coach outings organised by Stephen, most recently to Colchester.
He has another couple coming up for Bermondsey Abbey which belonged to the Cluniac Order and this year on September 11th will be the 1100th anniversary of the foundation of Cluny on the year 910.
Coach trips:
Lewes in Sussex on Saturday 4th September (pick-up Borough Station or Bermondsey Square) and
Castle Acre in Norfolk on Saturday 2nd October.
Stephen is happy for you to phone him on 020 7735 6716 for more info about trips, walks and talks.
Tuesday 9 November 2010 5.49pm
Stephen gave a fascinating talk at the Elephant shopping centre last night.I only wish I could retain more of the facts he was imparting.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: