Nightime roadworks Bermondsey St area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 5 August 2010 7.54am
how on earth do the council get away with doing non emergency roadworks all night in a residential area.

it seems to be around long lane bermondsey st area,, but is very disruptive noisy. who do we complain to?

who else has been disrupted?

?

i seem to remmber it was only a few months ago they resurfaced long lane through the night.. it shows a real disregard for residents.
Thursday 5 August 2010 9.26am
Noise team: 020 75255777. They're helpful and understanding.

As soon as the noise starts you need to give them a call. You MUST get a reference number from them. It's the only way you know they are dealing with it.

Good luck
Thursday 5 August 2010 9.42am
It sounds like it could be the third set of roadworks here:

http://streetworks.southwark.gov.uk/search.asp?searchtype=road&usrn=22501547

In which case it is being carried out by/on behalf of Southwark and is due to continue until 30 August.

Highways
Tel: 020 7525 2000
Fax: 020 7525 3077
environment@southwark.gov.uk
Thursday 5 August 2010 11.18am
As far as I know the work was to move the zebra crossing and raise the road to create a large traffic calming measure and provide disabled access for the zebra crossing.

That work was due to happen ages ago and really needed to be done, so whilst it was really noisy (I live in Bermondsey Square, so you couldn't get closer) there is no ideal time to do it and from what I understand it is now finished.
Thursday 5 August 2010 11.47am
I live very close to there too, and we received letters from the council a couple of weeks ago to warn about the work getting done. I understand that it was supposed to finish by today, so hopefully they're all done.

I know it's not ideal, but personally I'd like to see more roadworks done overnight (as they do in Hong Kong/China, and probably a lot of other places). It just all gets finished much more quickly, compared to, say months and months of digging up Borough High Street. Boots sell some excellent silicone earplugs too, which I can highly recommend!
Friday 6 August 2010 7.04am
AndyABC wrote:

I know it's not ideal, but personally I'd like to see more roadworks done overnight (as they do in Hong Kong/China, and probably a lot of other places). It just all gets finished much more quickly, compared to, say months and months of digging up Borough High Street. Boots sell some excellent silicone earplugs too, which I can highly recommend!

Amen to that Andy.
On a different,(but related), note, I was staying with family in Paris a few years back and my cousin told me that she was considering ordering a furniture delivery but was waiting for the outcome of some proposed legislation on road use.
Apparently the suggestion was that all deliveries in Paris could only be effected between 20.00 - 06.00 to ease traffic flow during the day.
The exception would be if the deliveries were enviromentally detrimental at night, i.e. noise etc.
I have no idea of the outcome of the proposed change, as it made sense, (to me), it was probably voted down, as it no doubt would be over here too.
Friday 6 August 2010 4.37pm
I'm always on here moaning about the roadworks so I thought I should come on and offer a little bit of praise - I know working through the night isn't great for those living within earshot but to give them their due... three nights in out job done. although why they have removed one of the pedestrian crossing instead of just keeping two is beyond me.
at the same time so payment works taking place outside Zucca on Bermondsey Street, I expected the usual over run, etc but no despite having signs up saying the work would take 2 weeks it only took a couple of days and they were done AND took down the parking restriction signs too!
Good job - must be a bonus window or something.
Friday 6 August 2010 11.37pm
phraze wrote:
at the same time so payment works taking place outside Zucca on Bermondsey Street, I expected the usual over run, etc but no despite having signs up saying the work would take 2 weeks it only took a couple of days and they were done AND took down the parking restriction signs too!
Good job - must be a bonus window or something.

It might have taken longer if they'd actually used the same paving material as on the pavements along the rest of the street. Instead they've just slapped down some tarmac, to incongruous effect.
Saturday 7 August 2010 8.07am
the real issue is the local residents are not properly warned.. ok maybe you recieved a letter if you live right on the roadworks but if you live a few streets away you are equally disturbed.

comments praising the nightime roadworks are just ridiculous., there is absolutely no excuse for it.. unfortunately this kind of 'liberal' attitude will mean that local residents will be continually be ridden roughshod over by the council, when they have the whim to do this again and again.

the only winners over this are the construction company who obviously prefer this option as they probably pay their guys tripple time for working at night and bill the council accordingly.
Saturday 7 August 2010 3.03pm
boomshake wrote:
comments praising the nightime roadworks are just ridiculous., there is absolutely no excuse for it.. unfortunately this kind of 'liberal' attitude will mean that local residents will be continually be ridden roughshod over by the council, when they have the whim to do this again and again.

Fine by me!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network