Give me please advice in job search.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 7 August 2010 1.27pm
I am Russian/English speaker, looking for a job in London (such as an Administrator, etc). Recruitment agencies event don't want to talk to me because I have no work experience in the UK. I live in SE1 since last spring having 5 years visa with permission to work.
Do you know any local newspapers with job advertisings (posted directly by employers)?
What kind of advice could you give me?
Best regards,
Svetlana
Sunday 8 August 2010 12.04am
Hello Svetlana,
try the South London Press or Southwark News for local jobs. The Evening Standard for London wide jobs.
Also the job centre on Newington Causeway
good luck
Sunday 8 August 2010 7.23am
Hi Svetlana, I used to work for a multi lingual recruitment agency, as you are Russian and speak good English they might be able to place you somewhere were your Russian language can be of an advantage. Check out their site. Usually they want to see a CV and will then invite you for interview. If you need any help to set up your CV let me know, I am more than happy to help!! We can swap emails.

I came to London five years ago from Germany and know how hard it can be!

The link is below:

EuroLondon

Good luck.
Pauline
Sunday 8 August 2010 9.57am
Hi Svetlana

Also try gumtree which is an internet site that has lots of jobs advertised www.gumtree.com.

Good luck with the search

Nigel
Sunday 8 August 2010 10.20am
Thank you very much for the answers.
I will try all my best to find a job. I am studding English now having advanced level; maybe it is not enough for administrative job (and others). And I am already 40... I am sending hundreds online applications without any success. Maybe I should work as beginning as a volunteer to earn my first English referees (because my previous ones don't speak English).
Best wishes,
Svetlana
Sunday 8 August 2010 2.39pm
Hi Pauline

Some excellent advice to Svetlana. I sent you a private message - hope you don't mind!
Monday 9 August 2010 10.20am
Hi

Have you tried them?

http://www.appointmentsbilanguage.co.uk/

If not, give them a go. I had some very good feedback about them.

Hope that helps
Julia
CVM
Monday 9 August 2010 7.53pm
Hi Svetlana,
My best advice to you is to send your CV speculatively to companies you think you might like to work for, you can find addresses off yell.com. Don't hold back 100 CVs might get just a handfull of responses, but it is worth it as 70% of jobs are never advertised but gained by speculative methods, word of mouth and personal contacts.
Good luck!
Monday 9 August 2010 8.57pm
Many thanks for your advises!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: