Bats in the belfry?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
vaughan Wednesday 11 August 2010 11.00am
A few evenings ago I was walking down Copperfield Street near the community garden at the corner of Pepper street and I think that I saw a bat zipping around.

It could of course have been a housemartin or something. Has anyone else seen bats around there?
beetroot Wednesday 11 August 2010 3.01pm
I'll have to have a look. I love bats. Seems the sort of place they'd be.
Zoe Wednesday 11 August 2010 8.40pm
I've not only seen bats there, two flew really low over me and gave me quite a shock.

I'm sure they weren't anywhere near me really, but they felt close. They seemed quite small when I saw them zipping away (though they seemed very large when they flew near my head - lol).

It's great we get such nature in the city.
Jan the old one Thursday 12 August 2010 8.56pm
In the adventure playground in dickens square, at lot would fly over at dusk. I see the odd one or two in the garden at night, dont know if they fly from the church in trinity street?
vaughan Friday 13 August 2010 12.41pm
Well I might have to do a bat patrol one evening. Will report back on my findings.
Mini Haha Tuesday 17 August 2010 9.33am
Did you go on your patrol? You may be too late - at least to go into the garden - the cathedral have locked it up and the community out... it was on the BBC News this morning - here's a write up...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10994210
Beowulf Thursday 19 August 2010 8.55pm
We live in the block of flats overlooking that garden and we've definitely seen bats flying around of an evening!
Tolstoy Friday 20 August 2010 6.07am
This needs to be looked into as bats and their roosts are protected by law and this will therefore impact on the Cathedral's plan for the site.
dee dee Friday 20 August 2010 12.04pm
is there an organisation that will look into where they are roosting and officially document it?
Tolstoy Friday 20 August 2010 12.14pm
Google search brings up these guys:

http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bats_and_the_law.html
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions