Police target cyclists?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 11 August 2010 4.53pm
dunno whos noticed but the police seem to be under a directive to clamp down on cyclists

twice this week i have seen cyclists pulled over for jumping redlights!
the strange thing is both have been stopped by police motorcyclists who have been lying in wait 'unseen' in alleyways...

funny how the last cyclist was stopped but the copper did nothing about the cars stopped on the red route close by...

why is this happening???
Wednesday 11 August 2010 5.47pm
because they are breaking the law?
Wednesday 11 August 2010 6.37pm
technically yes...

strange way to use police resources tho.. its a cliche but shouldnt they be out catching criminals

what next jay walking?? its hard to avoid pedestirians, when there the majority of em choose to not use the crossings.. and are stood in the middle of a busy road.. particularly bad opp the coronet e and c..
Wednesday 11 August 2010 6.45pm
Ah, the annual pedestrian V motorist V cyclist debate! Is it that time of the year already?

I hate them all - I fly everywhere ;)

But seriously, yes there does seem to be a bit of an extra effort to enforce traffic laws recently (I even saw something in the Standard about cycling on the south bank - dont even go there!) and that is a good thing. Safety first.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 6.55pm
They're only doing what they're told.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 7.51pm
Have seen the police bikers around the elephant roundabout - in Perronet House yard and in Farady Memorial access but assumed they were after motor bikers who zip around there at speed.

As a cyclist who stops at red lights, ped crossings etc, I am fully behind any action like this. The bike scheme is also bringing more red light jumpers and pavement cyclists onto the streets who might benefit from a financial reminder to re-read the Highway Code!
Wednesday 11 August 2010 8.31pm
I have lost count of the number of times I have been crossing a road with the green man showing and then whoosh, some idiot on a bike comes barreling through, nearly sending me flying. I've had the same experience using the pavements. On several occasions this has happened when I've had my daughter with me. My friend's fiance was hit by a cyclist in Victoria the other week, leaving her badly cut and bruised.

This issue is not about cyclists v pedestrians. Everyone is a pedestrian. And each one of us has the right to expect that we can cross the road safely or walk along the pavement safely.

Of course, many people who cycle do so responsibly. However, a significant number seem to have scant regard the personal safety of those on foot and seem to think the highway code doesn't apply to them. It does.

If you want to know how bad the situation has become, stand at the pelican crossing in front of Bermondsey Tube station during rush hour. I'd estimate that around a third of those on bikes ignore the lights when they are red. Because of this, many elderly people are petrified crossing here.

So I'm all for the police and other agencies enforcing the law to make our roads and streets safer.
Zoe
Wednesday 11 August 2010 9.34pm
You're right Neil, we've got back to this again. People start complaining about jumping red lights and it ends with the really militant contributors saying they hate cyclists.

It's all about emphasis, it's true that cyclists jump red lights, most of us hate those people, but we don't rant on about speeding drivers on this site anywhere near as much, which is a major problem locally, are we just so used to it we don't even notice any more.

Any law breaking is bad, action needs to be taken, I think we all agree with that, but lets leave it there, as this all gets a bit tiresome.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 10.55pm
It's good they're clamping down on them. Who knows, maybe one day they will stop giant lorries speeding through red lights too, or buses sitting across pedestrian crossings. Only joking that would never happen.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 11.05pm
Interesting - just lately I have seen cops on bikes around Old Street pulling over selfish cyclists who ignore red lights and put other folks at risk.

I always want to shake the cops hand and say to the selfish cyclist "how is your village coping without you?"
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: