Lost/stolen Brompton bike: is it yours? Can I keep it?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 14 August 2010 1.09pm
Yesterday I found a black Brompton folding bike outside where I live, in the Waterloo area. I guess someone took it for a 'joy-ride' and then dumped it, as the back wheel is pretty smashed-up. If anyone thinks it is theirs and can tell me the serial number on the frame, or accurately describe its non-standard features, you can have it back.

I had my own Brompton stolen recently, so I sympathise with the person who has lost it.

I've reported it to the police, and tried various other ways of tracking-down the owner (e.g. I know which shop it came from, but they don't have a record of who they sold it to).

Can anyone tell me this: is it true that if no-one reports it as missing to the Police within 6 weeks I am allowed to have it? If not, what do the Police do with it?
Saturday 14 August 2010 8.54pm
The police came round to pick up the bike this evening, so I have an answer to to my questions: if the original owner does not claim the bike within 4 weeks, I can ask for it during the following two weeks, after which it would be disposed of, probably at a police auction.
Saturday 14 August 2010 9.01pm
An honest fellow - well done matey. Half of me hopes the owner gets it back and the other half wants you to have it for your honesty! Good luck.
Zoe
Sunday 15 August 2010 9.12am
I'm quite impressed the police came to pick it up, very efficient.

It's always nice to reunite people with lost and stolen items, I've done it several times and it's worth all the effort of tracking them down.

However I'm with BSB, and it sort of feels like fate that you found it, so lets hope the person who had it stolen has insurance so isn't too distressed, and you get to restore it to full health and have many happy cycling days on it.

If I had a bike stolen I'd be much happier if someone like you was riding around on it, and not the b****** who stole it, if you know what I mean!
Monday 16 August 2010 11.20am
Seriously impressed with your honesty. We had a black Brompton stolen 2 weeks ago in Bermondsey, it had a gel saddle (the type with the hole in the middle) and it had a front pannier clip (for the Brompton C Bag) . It also had 2 Spoke 'n Motion stickers on it and a front and back light (although they may have been removed). If it is not our bike then I seriously hope you get it, as you deserve it for your honesty.
Monday 16 August 2010 12.28pm
lucky find - retailing at around 600 plus
Tuesday 17 August 2010 12.45pm
Brompton keep a list of all serial numbers - I know I registered mine with them when I bought mine - so they may know the registered owner...
Thursday 19 August 2010 8.58am
Hi Jeande pierre

Which police station did you hand it in to?
Friday 20 August 2010 10.21am
Karen007 wrote:
Brompton keep a list of all serial numbers - I know I registered mine with them when I bought mine - so they may know the registered owner...

The buyer has to register the bike -- Brompton have no way of knowing who buys their bikes from bike shops. I phoned Brompton and left a message with the frame number, but they have not returned the call, so I guess the buyer did not register it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: