London Blitz 1940

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 21 August 2010 7.20pm
Hi, I'm new to this but I wonder if someone can help me.
My grandparents, great grandparents, two aunts and a niece were killed in the war by a bomb on 8 September 1940 in their home at 47 Camilla Road, Bermondsey, London.
Can anyone help me with any information about the event or about where they would be buried.
I believe there is a document called the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey section of the Civilian War Dead Register which might give me some information but I do not know how to get hold of it.
Would there be anything in the newspapers do you think as it was in the first few days of the blitz?
Any help on how to get any information would be very helpful.
Many thanks, Andrew
Saturday 21 August 2010 11.14pm
Hi Andrew,
if you go to commonwealth war graves commission
and type in the surname and choose civilian from the drop down menu you should find your relatives - I just did a quick search assuming you have the same name and found a couple of them. The most likely place for burial would be Camberwell Old Cemetery, down in Brockley. Try Southwark council's website to find it.
The South London Press would be the obvious paper to go to for any reports but I don't think their archive is available online.

Good luck!
Monday 23 August 2010 8.11am
John Harvard Library has a good local history department they may be worth a try
Tuesday 24 August 2010 11.33pm
Andrew

The junction of Camilla Road/Fort Road was hit by a High Explosive Bomb on the morning of 8 September 1940 at 1.15am. Three houses were ablaze and gas was escaping. The Wardens' log does not mention any deaths although the casualty roll states that Mary Ann Warren, Rose Mary Warren and Arthur Warren died in St Olave's Hospital later that day. (I obviously worked those out from your info).

That junction was pretty much destroyed as indeed was a lot of the area owing to the proximity of the Bricklayers' Arms

Most casualties were cremated and the memorial for these is at Camberwell Old Cemetery. The memorial looks a bit weathered and shabby now unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Neil
Friday 27 August 2010 4.01pm
Hi Neil,
Many thanks for all your information it was amazing!
Where did you get all the records from, the warden's log and the casualty roll? Could you tell me as I would like to do some further investigation.There were 4 other members of my family that were also killed but they had different surnames, I would like to find their records too. Also you would seem to have a map of the area from the time as you know where no. 47 was, where did you get it?
Any further help that you could give me would be much appreciated. Kind regards, Andrew Warren
Saturday 28 August 2010 10.18pm
Hi Andrew

I picked up the information from

a) Bermondsey Air Raid Wardens' Incident Log (Southwark Archive Library)-I have all of this as a database along with other London Boroughs

b) Commonwealth War Grave Commission website (www.cwgc.org)-I also have details of all London Metropolitan Boroughs' casualties-Southwark Archives also have a hard copy for the borough

c) The LCC Bomb Damage Maps-again I have a copy as do Southwark Archives

There were 13 incidents in the Wardens' Log referring to Camilla Road with just the one on your date.

Your family were taken to St Olave's Hospital, which was the receiving hospital for Bermondsey casualties (Guy's was Southwark)

7/8th Sept 1940 was a dreadful night for Bermondsey as Surrey Docks was ablaze and thousands of tons of wood went up in smoke. That night the Germans targeted the docks both sides of the river, West Ham Power Station, Beckton Gas Works and the Woolwich Arsenal. Further tragedy struck in Bermondsey as those evacuated from Surrey Docks went to various rest centres. The one at Keatons Road School was hit later by a high explosive bomb, killing and wounding many

Please let me know if you want more help

Kind regards

Neil
Sunday 29 August 2010 2.37pm
Hi Neil,
Many thanks for taking the time to get this info for me. You are a real help.
I am trying to put together a family history book for my grandsons and this is obviously an important moment in time for the family.
Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the wardens log for this incident and an extract from the map so that I can include these in the book. I got the cwgc records for the casualties.
Are there are any photos of the road from before the war do you know?
I don't know how we go about sending this through this website but I am sure you do.
Thanks again for all your help,
Kind regards,
Andrew Warren
Sunday 29 August 2010 11.58pm
Andrew have you contacted the British Library newspaper library? They will have the relevant South London Press either in hard copy or on microfilm.

A raod that size may even have made it into the nationals - The Times has a digital archive.
Tuesday 7 September 2010 6.35am
Hi Neil

I was fascinated by your reply. This is a query slightly off list, but as this is the 70th anniversary of my gt grandparents death I thought I'd be brave and ask any way! Do you (or SKS) have any knowledge of a blitz raid on Bridson Street in Camberwell on 7 Sept 1940? Despite extensive online searching all I can find is the CWGC record of their (Henry Stapleton, Emily and their daughter Martha) deaths at No 27 Bridson Street. I'd love to know any detail and where they might be buried, so I can take my mum (their granddaughter) who remembers them and their house.
Very many thanks, Karen
Tuesday 7 September 2010 10.30am
Hi Karen

At 17.30 on 7 September 1940 a German high explosive bomb hit 25 Bridson Street, Old Kent Road.

This is recorded in the Camberwell Air Raid Wardens' log which is sadly not very informative in so much as giving details such as numbers killed and injured.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Neil
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: