Loud Scooters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 23 August 2010 2.12pm
Has anyone had recurring problems with very loud, obnoxious scooter/motorbike riders lately?

On Saturday 14 August, a rider started revving his engine, riding around at about 2 PM, and he didn't stop until 3.45 AM SUNDAY MORNING, keeping me and my neighbours awake, and it's far too hot to close the windows. There were also a few out and about over the weekend.

I have a feeling that these engines have been modified to make a lot of noise. Surely there are rules or laws against this?

I've been trying to get some registration numbers but I cannot always be sure it's the same rider(s) as they go too fast.

Not sure what to do about this, except wait for the cold weather to set in. But this has really made me angry as there seems little recourse and it's terribly obnoxious.

Would anyone else like to commiserate?
Monday 23 August 2010 3.11pm
There are laws (governing exhausts, and classifying them as road-legal or not, according to amount of noise given off) which apply to this, so you could pursue it with the police.

If they're keen to up conviction rates, then this sort of thing is often an easy win for the police, because it's not unlikely that someone who's "modified" their exahust in this way has also got a similarly cavalier attitude to other mandatory issues (road tax, insurance, derestricting a 50cc scoot without the appropriate license, illegally small number plates, etc).

Good luck

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 23 August 2010 3.12pm
A friend of mine lives near The Blue, she has a similar problem caused by several youngsters on scooters from 10.30pm to midnight riding around her estate...is your noisy devil near there?
Monday 23 August 2010 4.03pm
Jan the old one - yes, sounds like the same people, in Bermondsey.

I'm not really sure what to do about it, if anything. :-/ Has your friend contacted police? I couldn't get very far without registration numbers, and last Friday night I called police, but it was obvious when the marked police cars are around, the perpetrators see them and stop. Really it requires unmarked vehicles I think.
Monday 23 August 2010 6.07pm
I'm one of your local cllrs, phone or text me on 07946 438 380, I heard a noisy scooter in St James's Rd today, but I wasn't sure if it was just a one-off. Can't promise immediate silence, but I'll see what I can do.
Monday 23 August 2010 10.14pm
Hi elle_dee, I think this person(s) must be around for approximately two month and drive around mostly during the night. We woke up often because he/she was driving around like mad..
Tuesday 24 August 2010 7.29am
Sidi - I've only started to really notice and had my sleep disturbed in the past 3 weeks.

I've had a chat with Graham (thanks Graham!) - I suggest you get in contact with him, too.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 8.53am
I know the address where one of these people lives - bunch of horrid ASBO youths. They go up and down our road doing 'wheelies' and causing a nuisance. Graham, can the local neighbourhood police do anything about this?
Tuesday 24 August 2010 10.06am
It's what we pay them to do - get in touch office@grahamneale.com, and we can try to put a stop to it.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 10.52am
My friend actually went out and had and spoke to them, she was to slow to get the numbers.They were very young.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: