Changing of Blackfriars station name

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 24 August 2010 9.32am
its good to see our politicians concentrating on something important again.

Message to Simon Hughes :
Stop worrying about a rail station name and and do something a bit more productive.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 10.32am
This may seem unimportant - just a name, but it is very important that the south bank gains its correct status - equal to the north'. It will be very good for Bankside. The only adjustment to the suggestion that I would make is to propose a reversal to the title - 'Bankside and Blackfriars' rather than the other way round.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 10.37am
But was not the original Blackfriars station south of the river (right near where Southwark tube station is now)? Leading me to believe that originally Blackfriars, the area, was south, not north.

Or have I made that up?
Tuesday 24 August 2010 10.40am
I think this is a vital change. The curve of The Thames makes it more difficult for visitors to realize which stations are near each other. As an example many get the tube from Charing Cross to Waterloo and then walk back to the South Bank.

Bankside does not currently exist on the tube or rail map; it would be good promotion for the area if it did.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 10.53am
La Martinet wrote:
But was not the original Blackfriars station south of the river (right near where Southwark tube station is now)? Leading me to believe that originally Blackfriars, the area, was south, not north.
There have been stations called Blackfriars on both sides of the river (including one where Ludgate House now stands) but the name comes from a monastery that was on the north bank.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 3.43pm
I love the idea, but am unsure as to whether it will actually change anything.

After all, there's been a Borough Station for decades, but a surprsingly large number of "Londoners" have no idea where it is. Granted, this number has probably trebled over the last decade, with the trendiness of Borough Market, but it's still amazing how many people don't know where it is.

I'm sure Bankside has all sorts of historic claims, as a name, but I've never liked it or used it as a term, and would be hard-pushed to really say where it begins or ends.

My SE1 (just the bit by the river - otherwise we'd be here all day), goes: Design Museum, Tower Bridge, Belfast, London Bridge, Cathedral/Market, Clink, Globe, Tate, Doggetts, Oxo, etc. I suspect that in walking this route I go through Bankside, but it means nothing to me.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 25 August 2010 12.19am
I am struggling to tell people where I live, am just next to the Southwark tube. Southwark is no good, as people will only think of the whole borough, Bankside and Borough (official name used by the council) says very little too. Some people use even Blackfriars or B. Rd, our GP surgery is also called Blackfriars Medical Practice. Sometimes it is easiest to say Waterloo or near Waterloo.. Not sure whether Bankside ends at Union Street or Pocock Street? What is the bit between Bankside and Elephant called then?
Wednesday 25 August 2010 9.56am
Im not worried if the name does change but surely its not something MPs should be bothering with.

I also agree with nelson on "whats our area called"

we came up with southwark village

this centres on the station
and is the cut, union st as north border, gt suffolk st as east border, st georges circus as southern border, and waterloo road as western border.

if bermondsey can have a village , so can we!

cheers

phil
Wednesday 25 August 2010 10.09am
Bankside is a name being used to market an area, even if you are 100% happy with the name adding it to the tube map can only increase vistor awareness and therefore spend to the businesses that need it.
Wednesday 25 August 2010 11.06am
I hear Boris is suggesting renaming it BarclaysBankside
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: