London Bridge Experience harassment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 24 August 2010 12.14pm
I know that there has been much on this website about the awful London Bridge Eexperience and its treatment of people trying to use the Tooley Street pavement, but I wanted to mention to you all my personal experience last week.

We were walking home towards Bermondsey Street when a chubby man with white and red face make-up one stepped in front of me and approached my girlfriend. He leaned aggressively over her, forcing his face within cms of her face and moved his fistful of leaflets to within inches of her eyes. I found this gratuitous and intimidatory act grossly offensive towards my girlfriend and I told him to leave her alone. At this point he spun around and starting abusing me instead.As we attempted to continue our walk home this man yelled repeatedly for us to 'walk away' and 'keep walking' whilst chasing us down Tooley Street, in full view of open-mouthed tourists.

I found his behaviour far too extreme and I don't think that this incidence could have given a good impression of what claims to be a family attraction. It is quite enough that I have to put up with the noises and the silly guillotine set-up every single day. I am surprised that have permission to take over so much of the pavement.

I emailed three addresses that I have found on their website - james.kislingbury@thelondonbridgeexperience.com, heidi.robus@thewowfactory.co.uk, yasmin.mears@thelondonbridgeexperience.com - and also csc@southwark.gov.uk at the Council and none of them seem to care about the negative impact that this monstrosity has on the local populace.

I also spoke to a policeman standing near LBE on Thursday morning and he suggested that I 'go down to Southwark nick' but he wouldn't take a statement himself. He did say that the LBE did have some new staff, but that is no excuse.

Is there anything else that I, or we, can do about them and their unpleasant marketing tactics?
Wednesday 25 August 2010 8.18am
Lyster 101, you are not the only one.

This has happened twice to me. Once with my husband when I actually thought if he had had a heart condition he would have had a heart attack. I considered calling the Council but thought they'd do nothing so didn't bother. The second time one of the guys was harassing me I told him to go away and he shouted after me saying " you horrid little woman" and then lowering his voice told me to "bugger off".

I heard they are paid 15 an hour but have to hard sell as part of the job. I can't abide it either. It obstructive and extremely unpleasant round that part of Tooley Street.

Not sure what can be done though.
Wednesday 25 August 2010 8.33am
What were the responses from the actual company @lyster101 ?
Wednesday 25 August 2010 9.23am
urbanite wrote:
What were the responses from the actual company @lyster101 ?

Nothing. I intend to give them a follow up email a week after my first one - ie, tomorrow. I'm not sure if those three people are still at the company but not one of the emails bounced off a mail server...

Would it be worth mentioning it to someone who might have influence such as Simon Hughes or Val Shawcross?
Wednesday 25 August 2010 9.32am
lyster101 wrote:
Would it be worth mentioning it to someone who might have influence such as Simon Hughes or Val Shawcross?

I would start with the local ward councillors:

Councillor Anood Al-Samerai

Councillor Eliza Mann

Councillor Nick Stanton

http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/mgFindCouncillor.aspx?XXR=0&AC=POSTCODE&sPC=SE1%202PF&;
Wednesday 25 August 2010 10.52am
It is geneally a much better idea to write a letter than to send an email for things like this. Emails are very very easily ignored, and letters are taken far more seriously.
Wednesday 25 August 2010 1.48pm
Try contacting the London Bridge Bid team.

http://www.londonbridgebid.co.uk/default.aspx?m=1&mi=41&ms=0

On their web site it says:

Established and funded by local businesses in the area between London Bridge and Tower Bridge on the south of the Thames, Team London Bridge is dedicated to maintaining London Bridge as;

'a world-class business district and visitor destination that is better managed, cared-for and connected'.

I suspect the LBE is not doing this mission any favours.

Tosh
Wednesday 25 August 2010 7.54pm
Thank you for raising this issue with local councillors. It is certainly something about which Nick, Eliza and I have had concerns and Simon Hughes MP has also raised the matter with the owners of the business. Whilst we are always keen to support local businesses and employment, it is very troubling that people have found their advertising so distressing. I am really worried to hear about people being followed down the street and this is clearly unacceptable. Local councillors are happy to take this up and we will contact the business and the relevant departments within the council to see what can be done to improve the situation. I do hope that this will be helpful.
Thursday 26 August 2010 8.01am
I just wanted to add that I walk past the LBE everyday at peak times and I have seen the bigger sales guy which you mentioned. I only noticed him as when someone walked away from him he went to kick out at them from behind. Obviously he didn't kick them but it was more the act of it. Not very good advertising for your business.

I was also followed down the road by the tall guy with the Top Hat on as my husband and I said that we didn't want to come in. I was actually 6 months pregnant at the time as it was quite an intimidating experience.
Thursday 26 August 2010 10.20am
I'd look in the phone book for the owners names...Scrivens I think it said in the south london years ago..
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: