Table tennis in Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
boo
Tuesday 24 August 2010 2.55pm
I know the table tennis table in Bermondsey Sq is only supposed to be there until 22nd Aug but I walked passed yesterday and it's still there. I've played a couple of times and feel that having a table tennis table there permenantly would be a nice addition to the sq. Does anyone know who I could contact, so hopefully they won't take the table away?

I've also seen kids enjoying a game or two which is nice to see. Rather than them just hanging out on the streets.

Related news & features

Tuesday 24 August 2010 3.23pm
According to London Borough of Southwark's website it is a Sport England funded project called Ping London and it looks like the table is staying

Ping London wrote:
Ping! is now over in London - thank you to all who played on the tables. The good news is that many of the locations which hosted tables over the past month have decided to keep them, so you can keep on playing!
They can be found here:
# St Pancras Station
# Regents Park
# Heathrow Airport, Departures
# Victoria Embankment Gardens
# Bermondsey Square
# Barbican
# Westfield
# 02 Arena
# Harrow Road
# Queens Park
# BBC, White City

These aren't the only locations where you can continue to play, many of the city's leisures centres, parks and table tennis clubs have tables which you can play on. To help you find out where your local tables are we've produced a booklet called Play On. It will be online in the in the next week, so please keep checking back here.
boo
Tuesday 24 August 2010 3.25pm
cool!
thanks
Tuesday 24 August 2010 4.31pm
when we have tried to play there has never been any bats or a ball not sure if someone takes them as there is nothing to say where you would get them from
Tuesday 24 August 2010 4.39pm
Might be worth asking on the Ping London Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ping-London/130414453657709

If not the website list these people as contacts:

General Enquires

Kelly O'Reilly
Sing London
kelly@singlondon.org

Diccon Gray
English Table Tennis Association
diccon.gray@etta.co.uk
01424 722525
Tuesday 24 August 2010 4.58pm
I think in Bermondsey Square the idea is that you can borrow bats and balls from a number of the businesses - the hotel and Shortwave IIRC, and possibly others too.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 25 August 2010 7.40am
thanks James - would be useful if there was a sign to that effect
boo
Wednesday 25 August 2010 10.24am
i do notice that there's usually no bats and balls availabe. i've seen ppl who brought their own though. Would be helpful to have a sign up to say where you can borrow the equipments from....
Wednesday 25 August 2010 11.16am
There's a permanent table on Camberwell Green and it gets a lot of use. It's one of the things that's got more people using the space and as a result there are less drunks cacking in the shrubbery.
Saturday 16 October 2010 10.35pm
Hi,

Bats and balls are available from the reception area next to Del Aziz, just pop in and ask the concierge or call 0207234 0805 and they can bring the bats and balls out for you

regards

Jackie

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: