Booths Fruit & Veg Leaving?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Wednesday 25 August 2010 9.55pm
Is it true that L. Booths fruit and veg are leaving Borough Market? Such a shame if that is the case. The quality of the produce and the knowledge of the owner, Tony was part of what made the market so good. Anybody know the reason for their departure?
Thursday 26 August 2010 7.13am
Hello Stewie,

yes it is true! Apparantly the management of the market has put up the rent and they are leaving. Some others will follow it seems the atmosphere is very bad between the standholders and the Borough Market management.

I was being told by some of the standholders that due to the new concept - perhaps they would like to change the strategie and make it a tourist market, this I do not know - a lot of the regular customers are not coming back anymore and they do not sell enough as tourists do not buy food to cook.
Rhodes bread has also gone and I do know of two others they will also leave by end of the year. Pitty.

The good news is Tony will open his fruit and veg stall somewhere in the arches of London Bridge, probably near Druid Street.

Have a good day,
Sidi
Thursday 26 August 2010 8.49am
I've lived in the area for 8 years and it's apparent to me that the market caters increasingly to tourists. On the face of it it doesn't sound like a problem, however, they are non-repeat customers who want to snack or take him non perishable food - the opposite of what most local shoppers are after.

I wrote to the trustees a year ago to say that there were no less than 8 places to buy burgers there on one hot Saturday which seemed excessive. I received no reply. On the rare occasions I go the crowds and queues for smoothies, espressos and jamon don't help with lugging round bags of fruit and veg.
Thursday 26 August 2010 9.23am
What a crying shame its companies like Booths that stop Borough Market being a theme park

Over the past 14 years they have got me and my food stylists out of more trouble than I care to
mention,what he doesn't know about ceps isn't worth knowing.
Thursday 26 August 2010 9.44am
Can one do something e.g. a complain letter from the locals?
Thursday 26 August 2010 10.56am
which is Booths?
Thursday 26 August 2010 12.00pm
next to Black and Blue
Thursday 26 August 2010 7.34pm
Sidi, I think you'd be wasting your time. The market management appear to be on some megalomaniac power trip at the moment. Speaking to a few traders there, it seems that all is not well.
Thursday 26 August 2010 9.25pm
The management of the market has been a bone of contention for some considerable time, I fear the market of old is truly lost.
Friday 27 August 2010 7.40am
Oh I'm really sad to hear this - Booths is my go-to shop for fruit and veg.

What a shame.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: