Crime in Grange ward

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 August 2010 10.20pm
What do people think of the efficiency of the police in the grange ward? I live in a bermondsey new development and we have had a string of thefts in the last month - without sign of forced entry from the building. The thefts have escalated from bikes to an expensive motor bike and seem to be quite sophisticated. We are sure it is the same people yet there has been no real investigative work being done and it continues to happen even though the building has cctv and different neighbours must be calling the same police.

We called the police to report a bike theft and have not heard back from them - that was three weeks ago and have since seen our neighbours motorbike got nicked from inside the same bike cage inside the building and it had two alarms!

I am interested to hear others experiences. Grange has a high crime rate (according to met crime stats) which have gone up in the last two months and I cant work out why this is. Ive lived locally but not here for a few years and always felt safe until now
Monday 30 August 2010 10.57pm
I would suggest that its possible some of your fellow residents are letting people in who they don't recognise. Sadly this does happen and obviously this compromises security. (I am not being critical of you personally - I've experienced neighbours doing this myself).

As for crime in Grange Ward I have not been aware of there being a recent crime wave. I still feel extremely safe there personally. As for your issue with the police, did you follow up your enquiry?
Tuesday 31 August 2010 2.25pm
Superstar2167 wrote:
As for your issue with the police, did you follow up your enquiry?

I have always had a response from the Grange SNT whenever I have contacted them via the Met Police website and I have lived here for over 6 years now.
Tuesday 31 August 2010 4.25pm
Have you had to contact them alot in 6 years Juanita?! :)
Wednesday 1 September 2010 7.53am
Three times in 6 years
Wednesday 1 September 2010 7.59am
Once was in relation to a bike theft & the other 2 occasions were on behalf of the TRA where I live. In my experience, the Grange SNT have responded. I am sorry that others in Grange Ward do not share my experience.
Thursday 16 September 2010 10.12am
I live in Grange Ward and have had to call police at least twice and have had very prompt call out and excellent response... but no actual results....there are many many escape routes and cut throughs to disappear down.
How about asking if the police / CSOs would attend a residents meeting to discuss safety - both personal & of the property? I live in a small dev. and people just let in leafleteers / anyone who buzzes and I have witnessed once people casing the joint before breaking into and stealing from a parked car - the police literally arrived mins after calling as they were close by. I really hope you haven't had further thefts from your block recently.
Thursday 16 September 2010 11.24am
The local Crime Prevention Officer is usually more than happy to vasit properties to advise on improving security...I had a very helpful meeting several months ago with our CPO who highlighted lots of things we could do to improve our security...but he did make the point that if residents themselves do not question strangers and open gates and doors to people who purport to being something they are not then all the measures will be in vain. Its up to people themselves to behave responsibly and check who they are giving access to.
Thursday 16 September 2010 11.45am
A few years ago I saw two teenagers leaping from the window of a basement flat in Grange ward. The window was open and they'd left a table lamp on a bed on it's side, switched on. I called local police who said that because the place was not secure I should call 999. I did and explained what local police had said. They asked me if the place was secure many times then said to call local, so I did. After going back and forth ten times emergency said they'd send someone. A couple of hours later I saw the residents in the flat so I spoke to them. They had called the police but no-one turned up. The next day they called the police again who said there was no record of anyone calling them about that address.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: