Copperfield Street / Loman Street SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 31 August 2010 7.09pm
Hi there, I hope some nice people on here can help!

I am moving down South for work and was looking around the Copperfield Street / Loman Street area at places to rent, as I had heard it was quite quiet and residential.

I don't really know London at all, but I have some viewings in the above areas next week.

I was just wondering what the area was like, especially from a safety perspective as I will bring my girlfriend who works nights and will commute using public transport.

The estate agent told me there was a homeless shelter called Mungos near by. This does not bother me at all and I would hate to cast aspersions, but was wondering if anyone could tell me if that should concern me?

Thanks in advance for your time guys. I really like the fact that the area has such an informative website, with a load of informed local people!
Tuesday 31 August 2010 7.32pm
Well it is certainly quiet. After office hours its pretty much empty, which is nice for walking in the evening and strolling its back streets. I'd say the characters at Mungo's can be a little annoying at times when they're on the cadge for cash and though they can seem a little intimidating as a group when they're drinking, in general they keep pretty much to themselves. I can only comment as someone who passes them regularly at the Island Cafe and along Union St, so others closer by may have a different view. Certainly a nice area to be looking at, though some of the office buildings around there are rather on the ugly side and they'd be right on your doorstep.
Wednesday 1 September 2010 11.14am
I live not far from Copperfield Street.

I pass the homeless shelter quite a bit on my way to and from the M&S supermarket.
The people at the homeless shelter can be a little annoying - I imagine more so if you live on the same street. But they aren't going to mug anyone. Or if they do, they aren't going to be very successful at it, if that's what you're worried about.

The area is very close to some busy streets - often filled with a lot of tourists - you'd be 2 minutes walk from the Tate Modern. So it is about as safe as you get in London really.
Thursday 2 September 2010 11.16am
A friend of mine lived there for a few years & she loved it - it's a really gorgeous little hidden street
Thursday 2 September 2010 3.36pm
Hi i live real close to st mungos and they are very noisy all through the night but your that bit away from them so they shouldnt bother you maybe by begging.
I dont walk around the area at night as I dont think its safe like any city there is alot of crime, hopefully she is ok all the best its a good location otherwise.
Thursday 2 September 2010 7.52pm
I think it's a very safe area, you really don't need to worry. Considering it's central London I think it's suprising how safe it is, I've come home at 1am and never felt unsafe.

Saying that, you still need to be sensible and not wear your pearls and gold rings at midnight while coming home drunk!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: