Petition against extending BSO license

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
CGB
Thursday 2 September 2010 5.01pm
Dear fellow Residents of Berwick Court,

The British School of Osteopathy (275 Borough High Street) has applied for an extension of the terms of their current club license. Their proposal includes:
• Films - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 ad hoc films for occasional viewing on Fridays during university term times
• Live music - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 occasional bands on Fridays (max. 2x per 12 wk term) for university term time only
• Recorded music - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 music will be on an occasional basis only once a month Friday only
• Anything similar (karaoke, bingo, quiz) - Fridays 17.30 - 23.00 occasional events only during university term

As many of you know, we the residents of Berwick Court have long been plagued by the noise arising from past events at the BSO. Numerous talks and attempts at involving the Student Union in finding a sensible solution have resulted only in empty promises and utter disregard for the well-being of fellow residents and their right to peace in their own homes.

If you object to these events taking place PLEASE ACT NOW!
Here is what to do:

Send your objections/comments to:

licensing@southwark.gov.uk

Please also copy Kristie.Ashenden@southwark.gov.uk

Please quote license number 832706

Please note comments/objections to licensing applications have to address at least 1 of 4 licensing objectives:
• The prevention of crime and disorder (we've had disorder aplenty already)
• Ensuring public safety (fire door being obstructed during their events)
• The prevention of nuisance (yes please)
• The protection of children from harm (if you are the parent of small children who are kept awake by the noise on a regular basis, please act now)

Comments need to be sent by Monday 6th September 2010 latest. Please don't delay!
N.B.There is another petition going on separately to complain against the breach of terms of their current license, details of which will be posted in Berwick Court Google Groups
Monday 6 September 2010 9.09am
There has been a lot of support for objecting to this licence variation. The BSO have consistently shown a blatant disregard for the terms of their current licence and for their neighbours. The soundproofing they currently have is woefully inadquate even when they do keep the door closed as they are required to do. My objection email has been sent
Monday 6 September 2010 9.56am
Is there a petition to stop multiple threads complaining about the BSO?

...if you press it, they will come.
CGB
Monday 6 September 2010 10.11am
No, I don't believe there is, but feel free to start your own. Just please don't crash a legitimate thread with a legitimate topic being discussed in it!

Not sure if you are affected by the BSO noise, but for those of us who are, it is no laughing matter.
Thank you
Monday 6 September 2010 11.14am
Multiple posts are usually against web forum guidelines. It's annoying. I have sympathy for your situation and I hope you find a solution but Ivanhoe is right.
CGB
Monday 6 September 2010 3.36pm
I don't wish to be dragged into a discussion with anyone (particularly one that detracts from the original subject) but in defence I will say that there are 3 threads in total about the petition. I don't consider that spamming, but clearly it is a matter of personal opinion.
Notwithstanding the fact that 3 threads might be construed as acting inappropriately (for which I apologise) there are better ways of bringing the fact to someone's attention (a discreet PM might have done it very well).
A sarcastic one-liner serves no purpose but to create animosity, in my opinion.
Monday 6 September 2010 3.46pm
Fair point.
Monday 6 September 2010 3.55pm
OK, I think the point has been made.

You are of course welcome to use the forum to bring attention to and discuss the details of your campaign, but please avoid posting the same thing in more than one thread. It is annoying.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Si
Monday 6 September 2010 4.54pm
Am I the only one that thinks let them have a bit of fun? So they want to enjoy themselves and do student-y things on a Friday. Seems like a small ask to me as long as they make sure they end around the printed closing time.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: